Author Topic: JESSE RICHARD STOKES BORN IN 1811  (Read 2122 times)

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
Re: JESSE RICHARD STOKES BORN IN 1811
« Reply #9 on: Friday 19 October 18 08:03 BST (UK) »
Tasmania was open to free settlers who provided goods and services to the military and many farmers had convict workers.One thing the British did was to keep record of all prisoners,year of arrival and ship, to identify each person,so if Richard doesn't appear on any list seems to suggest he was not a convict.
It is unlikely convicts would be pardoned however once they had served their time they were free to apply for a ticket of leave and travel wherever they wished.Victoria around 1850 was not a "free state" but part of New South Wales then during the gold rush Melbourne was desperate to retain people as every man Jack was heading to the goldfields.
Geelong was merely the access port  and was also losing population to Ballarat and Bendigo.I note Richard was married in Geelong but see nothing for him living there though an 1861 newspaper notice shows him as Richard Stokes,Lethbridge.

Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline Westozi

• RootsChat Extra
  • 3 x g grandmother Rose Heritage
    • View Profile
Re: JESSE RICHARD STOKES BORN IN 1811
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Evelyn.  I too am researching someone by the name of Jesse Richard Stokes, wife of Ellen Elizabeth Wayward and father of Mary Frances Stokes (1909-1996, born and died in West Australia).  Looking at Ancestry, there appear to be many generations of men with the name 'Jesse Richard Stokes', mostly in Victoria.  One was a builder in the Ballarat area.  I have no idea where "my" Jesse Richard Stokes was born; I only know he died before 1932 (the date Mary Frances was married).  I'm just wondering if you have gone any further with the family tree of your Jesse Richard Stokes?
Regards
Ann
Devereaux: Kilkenny Ireland; Victoria Australia
Delacour: Vorden Netherlands; Victoria & Queensland
Church: Chester, England; NSW & Victoria
Marshall: Sussex England; Queensland Australia
Donovan: Cork Ireland; Victoria Australia
Heritage: Warwickshire England; Victoria
Steel: Montrose Scotland
Truesdale: Armagh Ireland; Victoria Australia
Brown: Armagh Ireland: Victoria Australia
Odell: Bedfordshire & Andover, Hampshire