Author Topic: Newspaper lookup request: American Soldier Court martial  (Read 451 times)

Offline nikikleierterry

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newspaper lookup request: American Soldier Court martial
« on: Thursday 18 October 18 17:34 BST (UK) »
I am exhausted trying to find a newspaper article that would have been published in late 1952/early 1953 in my Gran's hometown near Thanet, Kent. My grandmother, Constance Doreen Baker, eloped with my grandfather, an American Air Force solider named Jack Lee Kleier. He did so without obtaining the proper authorizations to marry and was court martialed. The family story is that this "scandal" made the front page and created a great deal of intrigue surrounding the family for quite some time. I would appreciate any help anyone could give me in tracking down whatever news stories you can find.

Note: I have already sent away for my grandfather's US military records but unfortunately they were apparently destroyed by a fire in the 1970s so there is no record of the court martial proceedings on this side of the pond.
Thank you!

Offline sgf28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper lookup request: American Soldier Court martial
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 October 18 18:13 BST (UK) »
Their marriage was in Thanet:

Constance D Baker
Jack L Kleier

3rd qtr 1952
Thanet, Kent

Vol:5b Page:2044

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 October 18 20:11 BST (UK) »
Problem may be that the thanet advertiser is only online to 1949 ( at least where I am looking on FindMyPast) you may have to contact the library.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 October 18 21:14 BST (UK) »
Back in 1952, and I was old then ;D the expression  “made the front page” was used to refer to any bit of local gossip that was much talked about in the pub or corner shop, not that it really appeared in the local paper.

Mike