Author Topic: Ashby  (Read 1124 times)

Offline crispian1969

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ashby
« on: Wednesday 17 October 18 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Aine

looks like we could be related trying to work though to see if Robert and hannahs son is my great grandfather William Ashby and wondered if you had any further information on William Robert and hannahs son that may firm this up.

Might be worth taking this offline.

Thanks

Aaron

Moderator comment: split from original topic

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=659562.0

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Ashby
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 16:37 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Aaron

As a new member you will not be able to contact Ainecollier until you have made 3 posts on Rootschat which will then allow you to use the PM (private messaging) facility

He has not been online with RC since Dec 2013 but as long as his email address hasn’t changed he will get a notification about your post

Do you have a copy of your g/grandfather William’s marriage cert showing whether his father was Robert?

Was your g/grandmother Sarah Bird?  If so the marriage was 1882 in Croydon.  1891 shows children. William aged 8 Alice L aged 6 Bertie aged 3 and Daisy May aged 1mth
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 16:49 BST (UK) »
The 1855 marriage is the right one.  GRO online now has a mothers maiden name search facility and the 1861 entry shows a 1mth old son Henry b Croydon.  Mothers maiden name was McCann
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline crispian1969

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 October 18 08:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole

Thanks for your help and you answered my question.

Sadly looks like we arent related my relative William Ashby was born in 1859 and married Elizabeth (Ann) Thorne 1864 and can find records for her, but nothing for William, back to the drawing board.

Thanks for your time though much appreciated.

thanks
Aaron

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 October 18 09:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

Do you have a copy of William’s marriage cert to Elizabeth?  What was his fathers name?  William Ashby son of Robert & Hannah nee McCann was born 1859 so unless you have his father as somebody other than Robert - he could be your William

Freebmd shows the marriage of William Ashby and Bessie Thorne as 1885 Wandsworth

Offline crispian1969

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 October 18 13:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help Carole.

Sadly I dont know who Williams father is, but you hit the nail on the head with the marriage of them both which i struggled with and thanks for site it might be invaluable going forward.

William and Bessie (Elizabeth) had three children Alfred, Jane Elizabeth and Gertrude.

All i know is(grandma told me) that they were big into horses and robert ashby was a cab driver and their son robert was a stable band 1861 or 71 census and the other census i can find i am unable to determine the job roles. Also my William Ashby was from potentially kent surrey or sussex. 
i have most of the information on William, Bessie and kids just nothing on Williams mum and Dad.

Thanks for your help.

Aaron

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 October 18 18:53 BST (UK) »
I personally think this is the same family as Ainecollier.  There are too many coincidences from what you say above.

I will send a pm to Ainecollier just in case but if the email address has changed from when they posted we may get no response

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 October 18 19:15 BST (UK) »
Sorry - wrong info

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 October 18 19:43 BST (UK) »
William and Bessie (Elizabeth) had three children Alfred, Jane Elizabeth and Gertrude.

When and where were the children born as I cannot find Ashby/Thorn(e) births for them

What census do you have them on?