Author Topic: DNA - Match  (Read 1558 times)

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA - Match
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 04:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie,
Yes I will certainly post back - will probably have some more questions then. :)
Just trying to upload my OH's now .  Hoping we will find a match to his father's ancestors - we have nothing to go on.
The strange thing with this mystery cousin is that....another cousin (3rd.) has a shared match with this cousin also.  He has uploaded his DNA results to various places - not too sure which ones.  Keeping it to himself I think.
Sarra

Offline UK4753

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 05:05 BST (UK) »
Here is another resource you can use to estimate relationships based on total cMs.  The table is found on Blaine Bettinger's website.

https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4

Just insert the number of cMs in the filter box and you will get an estimate.

:)

Wiltshire: JONES, BANKS
Yorkshire: FEVERS, SCALES
Kent:  RUMLEY, NIGH
London:  HUGHES, NIGHTINGALE

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 October 18 03:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarra,

You have received some good advice here, but I will offer my own perspective.

1. I would recommend uploading to all three sites that have been mentioned - My Heritage (which you have done), FTDNA and Gedmatch. Everyone's experience is different, but I have found something useful at all four sites. Ancestry has the biggest database by far, but it is the hardest to work with. FTDNA and Gedmatch have less people but very good tools. If a match looks interesting, I often ask them if they are willing to upload, generally to Gedmatch, so I can compare them with other matches (see below). Gedmatch also allows me to easily send comparison tables to send to people I'm discussing with.

2. Two of the features I find most useful are "In common with" and a chromosome browser, both of which provide ways to see if different ones of my matches also match each other. Then if I know that a match is (say) from my maternal grandfather's family (e.g. a relative has tested), then people who match us both are likely matching on that side of my family - if there is a significant match all on the same chromosome segment, known as triangulation, then a joint common ancestor is virtually certain. If you are researching a particular branch of your family, this information can help define which matches to follow up further.

3. Whenever I contact someone on Ancestry, I ask them to invite me to view their tree. That way I can see it whether I am subscribed to Ancestry at the time, or not.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 October 18 04:51 BST (UK) »
My Ancestry DNA is showing still in progress, one side of me is waiting with excitement, and baited breath, the other side of me is thinking " How the heck I'm going to fathom this stuff out - I'll never be able to understand any of it  ??? ???

My results may still be several weeks yet, but I guess I'll be posting soon  ??? ??? ???   I have my tree on Ancestry, and there are many other trees with my families in them! 

WARNING:  WATCH THIS SPACE!!   (I have an old and VERY slow brain when it comes to scientific stuff like DNA)  ;D ;D ;D
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 October 18 00:49 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all this advice you have posted for me.  I will certainly take  note of it all.
I have received my matches from My Heritage & FTDNA - I'm trying to work it all out as well as my OH's matches too.
Jaybeinz - Like you I have a very old brain and I haven't as yet got it into gear properly.
So when I have it all worked out I will post back again.

I will upload it to Gedmatch too I think. :)
Sarra :)