Author Topic: Jean Mignault dit LaBrie, The Porpoise Hunter  (Read 1650 times)

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jean Mignault dit LaBrie, The Porpoise Hunter
« on: Friday 19 October 18 16:46 BST (UK) »
I am researching the ancestors of my grandmother, Elizabeth Labrie, Quebec. Her most ancient ancestor was Louis Mignault; he married Jeanne Charon (Chazou) about 1664, St-Germain-Laxis (which is about 50km south of Paris). Their son, Jean Mignault dit Labrie married Marie-Xaintes Boucher7Nov 1869, Chateau Richer Quebec; my grandmother descends from this line.
There is some debate as to where Jean was born. I have other researchers claiming he was born about 1665, Brie, Ile et Vilaine, Bretagne France. This location is in northwest France, in Brittany, far removed from St-Germain-Laxis.
Does anyone have any definitive answer to this question?
If so, I would appreciate hearing from you. Thank you.
Main, Mitchell; Stirlingshire
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jean Mignault dit LaBrie, The Porpoise Hunter
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 October 18 18:18 BST (UK) »
Could we have some clarification about dates please?

You have Louis and Jeanne marrying in 1664 and their son Jean marrying in 1869. This is more than 200 years later?

Also, if Elizabeth is deceased, it might help to know when and where she was born?

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 October 18 18:47 BST (UK) »
My error: I meant to write 1689 for the marriage date of Jean Mignault & Marie-Xaintes Boucher.
My grandmother was born in Baies-des-Sables in the Gaspesie. The Mignault-Labrie familes, for years, were found in the Kamouraska area of Quebec. Her father, Aglibert Labrie, left this area for the Gaspe area of Quebec.
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 October 18 18:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the clarification.

Ok, I have just found the marriage of Jean and Marie-Xaintes in the Tanguay Collection. Hunting through it can be fiddly.

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 October 18 22:44 BST (UK) »
The original parish record of the marriage has Jean's parents as of the parish of St Germain de la Cime, Brie, (cathedral town of?) Sens, Burgundy.

I'm afraid I have no idea what info would be available for France but I think where Jean's parents married and where they are living at the time of his marriage would be places to start looking for a birth/baptism record. I haven't at this point found any records that indicate he was born in Quebec.

Perhaps the dit LaBrie comes from his birthplace locale? One never knows.

PB

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 October 18 17:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this.
Is there some way I can access the marriage record?
What I have determined is that Louis Mignault (father of Jean-Baptiste) married Jeanne Chazou (Charon/ Chaillou) 1660, St-Germain-Laxis, arrondisement Melun, Arch Sens Brie.
What is puzzling me is that Sens is about 100km southeast of Paris.
St Germain Laxis is in the Ile-de-France region, about 56km from Paris.
I have since found information on 3 earlier generations born and married in the region around Paris (Hauts de Seine, Melun). It's obvious I don't understand the divisions of the various communities, regions, etc.
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 October 18 19:48 BST (UK) »
The marriage record image is on Ancestry. You would need a Canadian or World sub to see it (there are actually several versions, original and transcripts). If you don't have a sub, check if your local public library subscribes to Ancestry Library Edition.....this would give you access to the original records. Looks like Marie was able to sign for herself.....quite an accomplishment in those days.

When you go looking.....put just Marie and Boucher in the respective name slots and the year of the marriage in its place.

If you are near a Family History Center (the familysearch folk), they often subscribe to Ancestry as well.

There is always the possibility that Louis and Jeanne married in one place (her home?) and moved to the other (his home? work?). He may have been temporarily working in her area and so they met. Probably several other scenarios.

PB

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 October 18 20:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the hint. I will do that.
The more I research the history in France, the more interesting it gets!
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 October 18 22:59 BST (UK) »
It seems to me that you have looked at some dodgy web pages based on guesswork ...
I have other researchers claiming he was born about 1665, Brie, Ile et Vilaine, Bretagne France.
Someone has typed "Brie" into a program and picked the first one they found.  Wikipedia lists 13 places by that name.

What I have determined is that Louis Mignault (father of Jean-Baptiste) married Jeanne Chazou (Charon/ Chaillou) 1660, St-Germain-Laxis, arrondisement Melun, Arch Sens Brie.
That sounds as if you actually have an original source record.
From Wikipedia:
Saint-Germain-Laxis is a commune in the Seine-et-Marne department in the Īle-de-France region (and Melun arrondisement)
The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Sens once covered a large part of the Īle-de-France region
Brie is a historic region of northern France notable in modern times for Brie cheese. It ... corresponds roughly to the modern department of Seine-et-Marne in the Īle-de-France region

So as you suspected, you have a range of geographical labels all strung together there and all reasonably consistent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brie_(disambiguation)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-Germain-Laxis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Catholic_Archdiocese_of_Sens
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will: