Author Topic: Thomas Landreth & Jane Mole (Moll) marriage  (Read 711 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Landreth & Jane Mole (Moll) marriage
« on: Friday 19 October 18 17:04 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a marriage of a Thomas Landreth to a Jane Mole (sometimes transcribed as Moll)   around 1825. I thought I had found it a month or so ago but cannot seem to place it at the moment, so maybe not!

So if anyone fancies having a look the details are

Jane Mole (Moll) 1802-1890 born Norham, Northumberland (a detached parish of Durham)
Thomas Landreth c1803-1864 born Tweedmouth, Northumberland according to censuses but some online trees say Roxburghshire Scotland but without any source.

The couple’s first son is born 1825/6 at Gallowhill Bolam, Northumberland according to the 1851 census (I did not find him in the parish register) so the marriage should be before then. Most of the couple’s children are actually born in the Chester Le Street, Durham registration district where the couple settled and looking at the GRO index of the children born post 1837 confirms the mother’s maiden name of Mole (Moll).

I am aware that there is a marriage at Welbury, Yorks on 13/9/1829 of a Thomas Landreth to a Jane Byers and several online trees cite this marriage incorrectly. That is a separate couple who live in Yorkshire all their lives and raise their family there as confirmed by the censuses and parish register records.

Any help looking for the marriage would be appreciated.

Thank you.

James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Landreth & Jane Mole (Moll) marriage
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 October 18 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

Jane or Mary??  (EDIT - 1841 shows Jane)

Thomas Landreth & Jane Mole (Moll) marriage

I am looking for a marriage of a Thomas Landreth to a Mary Mole (sometimes transcribed as Moll)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 October 18 22:31 BST (UK) »
Many apologies. It should definitely be Jane, no idea where Mary came from!

I have altered the original post.

Thank you
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 October 18 23:20 BST (UK) »
There is a baptism Feb 8 1825 for a Mary Ann Landreth in Norham - parents named as Thomas and Jane. Abode given as Gallowhill, Bolam.  Occupation steward. So if the same Thomas and Jane marriage should be before then (Have looked at the Norham Bt's but cannot see a marriage for them).

Mary Ann Landreth seems to have married Lewis Broadbent when a minor in 1843 (marriage by licence in Pelton) - he was a doctor. She appears to be recorded as Mary Landrath in the 1841 a F S in the same home as Lewis - it is not until 1871/1881 that her pob given as Norham. Her death notice in Nov 1890 gives age as 66- so perhaps marriage of Thomas and Jane was 1823/4 or earlier.

Have you considered the possibility of an irregular marriage?

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 October 18 23:41 BST (UK) »
Hello

Yes Mary Ann is one of the children (Jane's mother was a Mary). I had not looked at that particular baptism so interesting that it gives the abode as Gallowhill, Bolam as that is where her brother William gives as his place of birth on the 1851 census.

I had not followed her marriage but it is intersting that it was to a Lewis Broadbent as Thomas and Jane name their last child as Lewis Broadbent Landreth in 1845.

I hope to go to the Library next week and will be will try to look for an irregular marriage there.

Thank you for all those suggestions they are really hopeful

David

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 October 18 23:43 BST (UK) »
The Bolam Bts can be accessed via the Familysearch catalogue. I wonder if the surname Landreth has been incorrectly recorded.

Image 147 has this baptism Jan1 1826 William son of Thomas and Jane Landers? ( surname difficult to read!). Abode Gallowhill.Occupation labourer.

Image 153 has the baptism of  Elizabeth with the same parents, abode and father's occupation.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 October 18 23:46 BST (UK) »
The Bolam Bts can be accessed via the Familysearch catalogue. I wonder if the surname Landreth has been incorrectly recorded.

Image 147 has this baptism Jan1 1826 William son of Thomas and Jane Landers? ( surname difficult to read!). Abode Gallowhill.Occupation labourer.

Image 153 has the baptism of  Elizabeth with the same parents, abode and father's occupation.

William

Thank you that is excellent. I will look them out tomorrow (Saturday) and copy the appropriate bits.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 October 18 15:27 BST (UK) »

Just to say familysearch has transcribed this as Larnders so that's a new variation for me to look at. Thanks again for your help.

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 08:30 BST (UK) »
I could not see the marriage in volumes 1 or 2 of the booklets of Border marriages published by NDFHS.

I did notice the surname Moule and also checked this as I wondered if it was a possible variant of Mole. No luck however.

As you probably know, records survive for only a small proportion of the irregular marriages that took place.