Author Topic: John Murray Maitland NSW 1850's  (Read 2253 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: John Murray Maitland NSW 1850's
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 October 18 09:25 BST (UK) »
 :)

Hi,

I am sure that Jen will not misunderstand when I write ... How sure are you that John MURRAY was still with Margaret for all three babies...
Looking for a death record for John Murray who married Margaret Jennings on 8th June, 1837 in Maitland NSW.  Have located 3 children born to this couple, Anne Jane 1842, Mary 1849 and John A, 1851.  Family records indicate that John was a former soldier possibly from the 3rd Regiment of Foot (Buffs).

It may be sensible to look earlier for the burial of John... 

The Australian Joint Copying Project would likely include payroll and musters for the Buffs.  Likely held at NLA Canberra and Mitchell Library, Sydney.

I am not home at present, but if you do a search at RChat I am sure you will find posts where I mention the project - I wish they would consider digitising and uploading the reels...  ::)

Volume 37a for the NSW BDM Early Church Records ... Maitland ... errr .... possibly findable within C of E and Christ Church Cathedral (Newcastle Diocese), and these are online, no charge images ... see RChat's NSW resources board, or search at RChat for err ... where I have mentioned that  ;D
(Volumes 1 to 44 are C of E) - if John MURRAY was buried C of E Maitland or anywhere within Newcastle Diocese, you should find burial in those images,  same with baptisms and with marriages  ;D

Fingers crossed, sorry I cannot be part of the searching through at the moment.  :-X

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline aus*jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 October 18 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi JM,   That thought had also crossed my mind  ;D  Will check earlier dates for the
            death of John Murray.

However, I should mention at this point that Frederick Wherritt was previously
            married with a child in England before he came to Australia in 1841.  His wife and
            child were both alone on the 1841 census.  It appears that the marriage may have
            been invalid even if John Murray was deceased by 1852.

Thankyou for your suggestions re the Australian joint copying project and Christ Church
            Cathedral records, I will work through those with fingers crossed ;D :D

Regards,
Jen.
Boland   NSW, Australia
Gibbs   S.Aust. & Queensland
Jennings NSW, Australia
Page  Coventry UK, Queensland Aust.
Sellars (Sellard) Gloucestershire
Kirby  Lechlade, Gloucestershire
Hampshire  Stepney, Middlesex & Hampshire
Goddard,  Isle of Wight
Cushen, Isle of Wight
Keys,  Tyrone Ireland & NSW Australia

Offline Maggi14au

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen
Taking a chance that you will get this. I have a connection to the Margaret Jennings who married John Murray in 1837. I found a death for a John Murray V1849538 34B/1849 MURRAY JOHN AGE 33--From Ryerson: Murray John 1816? 21 Oct 1849 33 Camperdown NSW Benevolent Asylum ground BN00235 MEMORIAL ID 187992689 I wrote to the, and this is the reply I got "Hi Maggi, 
You won't find him in our index 1857-1900 as you are looking for someone who obviously died in 1849. 
Earlier records for the Sydney Benevolent Asylum are available at the Mitchell Library and you'd need to write to the Benevolent Society, pay for an access fee, and then search the records at the Mitchell yourself, or get a researcher to do that for you.  The records are not on open access.
If you have obtained his burial certificate (which is the record you quote at V1849538 34B) this will give you any other information about him recorded at the time. 
Camperdown Cemetery Burial butts etc are also held at the Society of Australian Genealogists in Sydney - see www.sag.org.au for details of their hours, fees and catalogue.  This would confirm the burial details for you and tell you where the grave was located before the cemetery was cleared"
As I live in Perth and due to budget restraints I am not able to get SAGS to do any lookups. When I have more time I may see if a Librarian at Mitchell Library can check the records for me so I can confirm it is the right John Murray. I know there was another son born 2 years after this but that doesn't surprise me considering the era.
Hope that helps,  Heather Garnsey & Martyn Killion www.sydneybenevolentasylum.com"
The John Murray who married Elizabeth Alcock nee Carroll (also in my tree) is I think two different people though I have not confirmed that yet but it would mean he was a bigamist (again not surprised if this is the case). Both are way down on my wish list for certificates so relying on others research at the moment. I have kept a copy of the conversations here so that I can get back to them for further research. Cheers Maggi Perth WA
England- Biles, Hutchinson, Starr, Wells, Riggs, Cooper, Foulds, Gover, Greenwood
Scotland- McCurdy/McKirdy, Shaw, Boyd, Noble, Fraser
Ireland- Duggan, MacCarthy, Hogan, Jennings, McCurdy/McKirdy,
Australia- Shaw, Duggan, MacCarthy, Biles, Hutchinson, Starr, Wells,McCurdy/McKirdy,Jennings
United States of America- MacCarthy, Weiss, Lambros, Mavros

Offline aus*jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 January 19 00:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggi,   Thankyou for the info. on the death and burial of a John Murray in 1849.  It would
                 be worth checking with the Mitchell Library, I have had excellent responses in the past
                 from their Ask a Librarian service.

Regards,
Jen.
Boland   NSW, Australia
Jennings NSW, Australia
Goddard,  Isle of Wight
Cushen, Isle of Wight

Offline Rollers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 31 May 20 14:36 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find birth and/or immigration information on John Murray, who married Margaret Jennings in Maitland in 1837. As far as I could find out, John worked as an overseer at Redbank from as early as 1835 until at least 1838. In 1838 or 1839, John and Margaret moved to Highfield, Circular Head Tasmania where he worked as an overseer at Van Dieman's Land Company. His daughters, Alice and Ann was born there in 1839 and 1842, with Ann's birth registered in TAS and NSW. There is no record of Alice's birth - info derived from 1857 Vic marriage - age being 18. The 1843 census he is listed as alone and possibly born in Australia, as he is the only RC male in the house. Possibly Margaret was away with the girls during the census. It's understood John left the VDL in late 1843 after he and few others had a dispute with the company. The trail has gone on John after this point. He had no middle name.

Offline aus*jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 01 June 20 09:12 BST (UK) »
  Hello Rollers,  I have just found your post by chance, did not receive notification of it for some
                       reason.  Will send you a PM (personal message) via Rootschat to expand on
                       my research since 2018.  Will need to look for my notes as I have temporarily
                       lost my files due to computer breakdown.

Regards,
Jen.
Boland   NSW, Australia
Jennings NSW, Australia
Goddard,  Isle of Wight
Cushen, Isle of Wight

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 01 June 20 10:29 BST (UK) »
 :D  :D  :D

I see I mentioned the AJCP earlier in Jen's thread....  I share a recent thread I posted with some grand news about that project ....
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=829521.0

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline aus*jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 01 June 20 11:56 BST (UK) »
That is great news JM :D  Thankyou for adding the link to this thread.

regards,
Jen.
Boland   NSW, Australia
Jennings NSW, Australia
Goddard,  Isle of Wight
Cushen, Isle of Wight

Offline aus*jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hello again Rollers,   Have sent you a PM, just wondering if you received it.  If not just
                                  post here again and I will send another.

Regards,
Jen.

Boland   NSW, Australia
Jennings NSW, Australia
Goddard,  Isle of Wight
Cushen, Isle of Wight