Author Topic: Crane family in WRENTHAM late 1600s to 1700s  (Read 984 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Crane family in WRENTHAM late 1600s to 1700s
« on: Saturday 20 October 18 13:04 BST (UK) »
My ancestor Sarah Crane married Thomas Grimwood in 1759 in Wrentham. She was of the parish and Thomas was from Framlingham, athough his family were from Easton. The witnesses were Samuel Crane and ?J. Jenny.

Sarah's burial entry in 1823 at Easton states she was aged 89 years so born c1732/3.

I am trying to see if I can track her lineage down. There is a 1733 baptism for her in Marlesford as daughter of Samuel Crane and his wife Elizabeth and I posted about this previously on rootschat here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=696336.0

Marlesford is 21 miles away from Wrentham so I feel that I need to see if there are any other Cranes in Wrentham before and after the 1759 marriage. Does anyone therefore please have access to the records of Wrentham at all?

I would also like to see if I can find out who this J. Jenny was in case she was a relative.

After their marriage in 1759, Thomas and Sarah Grimwood first lived in Ipswich where they had one son in 1760 and then their subsequent children from 1762 to 1775 were all baptised in Wickham Market.

As Wickham Market is only 2 miles from Marlesford they could have moved nearer her family, if she is indeed the daughter of the Samuel Crane of Marlesford and his wife Elizabeth.

Many online trees have the Sarah Crane daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth baptised in Marlesford in 1733 as marrying John Keer in 1756 at Easton. The dates for this also work for this individual to be that Sarah so I am unsure at the moment.

John and Sarah Keer apparently had a son Samuel in Parnham in 1769 as their fourth son, but did not a daughter Elizabeth which might be expected.

My ancestor Thomas and Sarah Grimwood named their second son Samuel and a daughter Betsey but with two Sarah Cranes out there it is difficult to know which one was the Marlesford one.

Some trees also have this Sarah Crane/Keer as dying in November 1789 and others as her remarrying Ralph Dowsing at Farnham in 1794. So I am trying to work it out.

However if the Wrentham parish registers have a Samuel Crane residing there this might help resolve the issue.

If anyone can therefore help I would be most appreciative.

Thank you,
Jon   

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crane family in WRENTHAM late 1600s to 1700s
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 October 18 13:15 BST (UK) »
Following this I have just found that there are burials for Cranes in Framlingham, including a Samuel.

Thomas Grimwood was a resident of Framlingham at his marriage in 1759 in Wrentham, so I wonder if Sarah Crane could be connected to a Crane family in Framlingham?

The Crane burials in Framlingham are:

1722 Samuel Crane
1729 Ann Crane
1762 Elizabeth Crane

Does anyone have access to the Framlingham registers at all as well please?

Thank you,
Jon