Author Topic: History Centre or Archives in Belfast  (Read 665 times)

Offline thelilradish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
History Centre or Archives in Belfast
« on: Saturday 20 October 18 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I've recently discovered that I have a direct ancestor, born in 1780 in Belfast.

Where would be the best place for me to visit in Belfast so that I can research Parish Records, microfiche, original documents etc? Is there a History Centre or Archives that anyone would recommend for me to attempt to research her further please?

Selina
Sprague (Essex and Somerset)
Clark (Essex, Suffolk spec. Glemsford)
Taylor (Wiltshire spec. Hilmarton, Calne, Tockenham, Lyneham)
Light (Somerset, Gloucestershire, Wiltshire)
Kirton (Wiltshire)
Dean (Wiltshire)
Newbury (Wiltshire, Gloucestershire)
Hillier (Wiltshire spec. Avebury)
Hogg (Gloucestershire)
Bromfield (Devon)

Online HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
Re: History Centre or Archives in Belfast
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 October 18 16:20 BST (UK) »
I think the place to start would be the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) in the Titanic quarter of Belfast.  It has a fair number of parish registers on microfilm (though, as you probably know, not all survived), will calendars, some actual wills (or probate copies thereof), deeds, trees drawn up by genealogists or family researchers, and so on.

An increasing amount is on line, so look at the PRONI web site first, in case that could save you the journey.

Hotels and guest houses in Belfast are expensive.  I recently discovered the 'Global Village' hostel not far from the university, which is more reasonably priced than most B&Bs.  A day ticket on the bus works out cheaper than a bus to the city centre, another one out to the PRONI, and then back afterwards.  And while you're in Belfast you can visit the Ulster Museum and the Botanic Garden with its 'Tropical Ravine'.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline thelilradish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 October 18 16:28 BST (UK) »
That's great information thank you so much!

I've visited Belfast a couple of times (before I knew about my 5th Great Grandmother) and have always loved it - I was actually quite emotional to discover her!
I've always found that hotels are expensive too so I really appreciate that tip! Thank you  :)
Sprague (Essex and Somerset)
Clark (Essex, Suffolk spec. Glemsford)
Taylor (Wiltshire spec. Hilmarton, Calne, Tockenham, Lyneham)
Light (Somerset, Gloucestershire, Wiltshire)
Kirton (Wiltshire)
Dean (Wiltshire)
Newbury (Wiltshire, Gloucestershire)
Hillier (Wiltshire spec. Avebury)
Hogg (Gloucestershire)
Bromfield (Devon)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 October 18 10:28 BST (UK) »
There are a lot of churches in and around Belfast and if you aren't sure of religion that widens the possibilities even further. As well as finding the actual church, many records will not go back pre-1850s.

Try to do as much research online before planning your trip. Here's PRONI's Guide to Church Records-
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/proni-guide-church-records

Roman Catholic parish registers- https://registers.nli.ie/

Belfast comes under County Antrim in Resources- have a look there, especially the thread for church records & graveyards: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=535464.0

Also be aware that 'born in Belfast' may not mean someone was actually born in Belfast, especially if that was written years later and outside the area or in a foreign country.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 10:32 BST (UK) »
existing birth records selected as to include before 1800
PRONI Guide to Church records on line downloadable free

examples
C[hurch].[of Ireland] I. St Anne’s, Shankill (Connor diocese)
Baptisms, 1745-1901; special baptisms, 1817-66; marriages, 1745-1900; burials, 1745-71, 1784-1809 and 1824-65,1878 and 1883; index to baptisms, 1745- 1866 and 1872-84, to marriages, 1745-1823, and to burials, 1745-1812.
Baptisms, 1872-1901; indexes to baptisms, 1872-84; marriages, 1845-1900.
Burials, 1884-; vestry minutes, 1808-1934; registers of vestrymen, 1870-.
[There is a printed volume containing transcripts of marriage entries, 1745-99]

N[on].S[ubscribing] .P[resbtyerian]. All Souls (2nd)
Baptisms, 1782-92 and 1816-28; marriages, 1771-87 and 1817-27; committee minutes, 1808-28; poor accounts, 1792-1816.

N.S.P. Rosemary Street (1st)
Baptisms, 1757-1977; marriages, 1790-1930; burials, 1712-36, with funeral accounts; lists of members, 1760, 1775, 1781, 1783, 1790, 1812 and 1830; minutes of committee and congregational meetings, 1760-1841 and 1863-1910, which include from 1863 onwards minutes of various other committees, for example the music committee, the building/ property committee and cuttings from annual reports; lists of seat holders, c1821-1825 and 1865-1900; printed history of the church, published 1944; typescript In Presbyterian Historical Society abstracts from church minute books, 1760-1980, which provide a quick means of access to to important events in the life of the church.

R[oman].C[atholic]. St Patrick’s (Donegall Street) (Down and Connor diocese)
Baptisms, 1798-1811, 1814-67 and 1875-80; marriages, 1798-1812 and 1814-67.
the above record if looked up and downloaded has the microfiche etc numbers and  sometimes saying in local cusrody
visit the Linenhall Library, Belfast give them warning of your family history interests
good luck enjoy your visit

street directories start 1805
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide