Author Topic: Could this be Welsh Powderhall event  (Read 876 times)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Could this be Welsh Powderhall event
« on: Saturday 20 October 18 16:16 BST (UK) »
According to a piece in the South Wales Echo 26 June 1926 Slam Sullivan (SS) was the winner of the big money sprint promoted by Harry Duggan (HD).  Finding this of interest I've searched old Welsh newspapers and although I located numerous reports on events organised by HD failed to find the one which SS reputedly won.  Could this be a Welsh Powderhall Sprint?  SS emigrated to Australia in 1913, so it would be pre that date.  Any help appreciated.
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Could this be Welsh Powderhall event
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 October 18 19:45 BST (UK) »

Hi,

This record (p.4 of the pdf, p.2 of their account) says he won the Wales' Cardiff 1,000 pounds race, but doesn't mention which year,

http://www.oatleyhistory.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/OHG201105-Slam-Sullivan.pdf

Lots more info about him there.

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 October 18 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Daisy
Thanks for taking interest.  I had already found and read the oatley history piece on Slam but thanks for the link.  It was reading that article prompted me to look for a report of the race but so far to no avail.
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 October 18 22:56 BST (UK) »
I wonder if the £1,000 was actually £100, it would still be a lot of money in 1913.

If I'm looking at the right man in 1911 he is living in Barry. I found this which could be about him,

Gloucestershire Echo 13 January 1913

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 00:02 BST (UK) »

Here it seems to have become a £1,000 race,

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mwj/

Daisy

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Daisy
You are a star; in the main I've been searching Welsh papers, did not think it would be covered in the Australian papers.  Coincidentally, J Sullivan did emigrate to Australia afterwards and prior to going he was a boxing instructor at Barry.  Well done and many thanks. Roy