Author Topic: Sparse Results for Y DNA Test  (Read 679 times)

Offline 4b

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sparse Results for Y DNA Test
« on: Saturday 20 October 18 22:43 BST (UK) »
Some time ago a cousin tested with a Y DNA test. This cousin has four matches from autosomal tests that connect to his paternal line, so it's pretty solid back to about 1750. The line in on the English-Welsh border.

However, his 67 marker results are empty and he only has two results for 35 markers and one of them is from Finland. The other appears to be Anglo-American.

I've only seen two other Y tests, which are for my paternal line and for that of a 2nd cousin once removed. Both of them are from the English-Welsh border and they both have about thirty 67 marker matches each. Although I have no Y matches for either, there were a good number of local matches for one of the tests.

Can anyone give any insights as to whether having zero 67 marker matches for an English line is unusual? Or any input as to what this could mean?

From my father's test I've been able to plot out a rough line of migration, which seems to suggest a Danish invader whose family were Anglicised in Lancashire and it seems there is a line that splintered from there as a different surname. But with this test the only useful piece of information is the haplogroup.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sparse Results for Y DNA Test
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 October 18 23:29 BST (UK) »
In the 18 months I have tested I have 1 x 67 marker (5 removed) , 0 x 37 marker and 58 x 25 marker

I think its a numbers game. You need 2 things to happen

1. Members of family markers to test
2. Those to test for YDNA

Most testers do so for ethnic/autosomnal results. To take the next step requires the engagement of the tester in spending extra money
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 October 18 00:14 BST (UK) »
Nothing much in the way of results for my OH's Y DNA either. He has one of the most common surnames in the UK so I was expecting a lot if matches. The surname project co-ordinator called him a "singleton" ie no matches with any other members. He took the test in 2013 and there have been no new matches since.

I think lack of results is simply due to the fact that so few English have taken the test.

Offline 4b

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 October 18 04:06 BST (UK) »
I think lack of results is simply due to the fact that so few English have taken the test.

I wouldn't have thought that would be too much of a problem. Most of the matches I have on Y-67 are from suggested around 1500-1700 and most of them are American.

It would be good if Ancestry would start offering Y tests. I think they did some time ago, before testing really took of in the last 1-2 years.

I just logged into my paternal test and I have 54 matches at 67 and I get 5 new matches a year. I guess that is more than usual then. But then I only have 40 matches with 37 markers. I don't understand why that is.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 October 18 10:45 BST (UK) »
If your Ancestors originated in the UK stayed in the UK and did not emigrate to America, and descendants of those Ancestors currently residing in the UK have not taken Y DNA tests, you will not have them in your list of matches. More Americans take DNA tests (unsure why, possibly seeking their roots?) which is why most of us have more matches with Americans than other nationalities.

Offline 4b

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 October 18 08:25 BST (UK) »
More Americans take DNA tests (unsure why, possibly seeking their roots?)

I think the main reason for this is that for a long time Ancestry only offered their DNA test in the US and FamilyTreeDNA has never been able to get much of a foothold elsewhere.