Author Topic: "Upper" in townland parlance  (Read 2945 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Upper" in townland parlance
« Reply #18 on: Monday 22 October 18 18:31 BST (UK) »
Yes, that where I got them

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 22 October 18 19:37 BST (UK) »
Very odd: I wonder whether the boundaries changed at some time.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 22 October 18 20:52 BST (UK) »
There is no point in trying to apply logic to townlands, they are just too old. The reasoning behind them is lost in the mists of time.
Look at how many begin with Dun.  A Dun is medieval and Rath.

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 19:22 BST (UK) »
I kind of like the idea that if you were navigating in a mountainous or hilly place, you'd look at the peaks.

My theory is that some of this terminology would have different meaning depending somewhat on the county.  With a place like Kerry or Wicklow being different from your generally flatter terrain.

For instance, there is a mountain in Scotland called Ben More. It is taller than any more Southern mountain in Britain.  There is also another Ben More in Scotland.  It is the highest one on the isle of Mull.