Author Topic: "Upper" in townland parlance  (Read 2959 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Upper" in townland parlance
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 October 18 00:58 BST (UK) »
Tithe Applotment has Tullig Beg Mountain, Tullig Beg, Tullig More and Lohert Tullig Beg.

Looking at the image I think that last one is Lohert and Tullig Beg.

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//004625677/004625677_00137.pdf

Upper is possible the mountain.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 October 18 10:50 BST (UK) »
I can't tell the terrain of Tullig from the map, but in the area of the Mourne Mountains in Co. Down, "Upper" referred to terrain. Ballintur was where my grandfather was born and where all the farming parcels were, and Ballintur Upper was held in common, I think. Maybe grazing land, again I'm not sure. But there weren't parcels allotted out individually.

The picture from Griffith's of Tullig, though, looks like there were parcels in the area where Tullig Beg Upper is/was.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 October 18 10:59 BST (UK) »

Yes but that's Google Maps :D
Just means people are still using Upper.

You're right :). We're looking for the significance of the name, not just whether the place was really there.
It must have been an informal usage in Tullig, Kerry, because I didn't see a reference to it on Griffith's Valuation either. The Upper townlands in the Mournes were listed on Griffiths. If I remember right they were held by, for example, "John Rourke, and others" or some such wording.

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 October 18 16:45 BST (UK) »
Lohert is definitely some type of townland.

I'm reading the old descriptions of the townlands circa, I believe, 1840s.  Tulligmore is described as having a large tract of bog about two-thirds its area, but mountains in the north.    Arable land consisting chiefly of mountain pasture.  Population then only 36.  Tulligbeg is described also as being mostly mountain pasture.  Population then only 147.

I guess they just used Lower Tullig informally, and if there were any living there, it wasn't enough for the surveyors to consider it a useful term or for the term to be used as a household address.  Perhaps, even nobody lived there.

I'm a bit confused with the meaning of beg and more.  Could that be derived from the relative heights of peaks or hills and not area? 

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 October 18 16:58 BST (UK) »
No Beg and More could just as easily be used on a flat plain.
There is a good table here.
https://www.geographyinaction.co.uk/Townlands/pnamesmeaning.html

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 October 18 17:01 BST (UK) »
Tullig Beg is not a Townland, it is a sub townland

https://www.logainm.ie/23586.aspx
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 October 18 17:31 BST (UK) »
I'm a bit confused with the meaning of beg and more.  Could that be derived from the relative heights of peaks or hills and not area? 

Townlands vary considerably in size, but as a general rule they are larger where the land is poor, so that each represents an economical size for an estate.  The highlands usually offer poorer pasture than the plains, so there could indeed be a certain correlation between mór and high ground, beag and low ground.  But basically of course they refer to the size.

I make no apology for using the Irish spelling: trust the English to mangle names wherever they went in the world! 
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 22 October 18 17:37 BST (UK) »
Except in this case Beg/Beag is larger than More/Mór see reply #7

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 22 October 18 18:28 BST (UK) »
Population is not a reliable guide to size!

Did you look at  https://thecore.com/seanruad/  to see the areas in acres?
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds