Author Topic: French translation No 4 - help please  (Read 627 times)

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
French translation No 4 - help please
« on: Sunday 21 October 18 13:05 BST (UK) »
Yet another postcard written in French which has totally baffled me (French is not my strong subject!).

If anyone would be up for translating to English that would be wonderful.

Thanks for looking
Keith

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: French translation - help please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 October 18 15:47 BST (UK) »
First half:
I write to you from England and from a country [sic] called Worthing where I have been since and for  ?? weeks. It’s quite a big town next to the sea. This stay is benefitting me in 2 ways of view my health and for my English. How are you all? M[adam]e - or may be M[ademoisell[e] - Francoise, is she completely recovered? You are on holiday as well as Francoise.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 October 18 15:53 BST (UK) »
First half:
I write to you from England and from a country [sic] called Worthing where I have been since and for  ?? weeks. It’s quite a big town next to the sea. This stay is benefitting me in 2 ways of view my health and for my English. How are you all? M[adam]e - or may be M[ademoisell[e] - Francoise, is she completely recovered? You are on holiday as well as Francoise.

Thanks so much Josey for taking up the challenge - all my attempts have been total gobbledygook - this is great  :)
Keith

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 October 18 15:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks but I expect someone will improve it ;D.

2nd half:
Best wishes for her success in the certificate. Andre is received [accepted?] in Arts & Crafts. He is going from May to October in Châlons. Now we have moved [?house] we no longer have ?? Neuve du Prêtres but to Ecole Pratique [Technical School?]. Hug Me Francoise and your brother  for me kisses Madeleine.

ADDED:
Here is my actual address:
Mlle….
c/o Misses Kaines
Egerton Lodge
Rowlands Road
Worthing

IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 October 18 16:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks but I expect someone will improve it ;D.

2nd half:
Best wishes for her success in the certificate. Andre is received [accepted?] in Arts & Crafts. He is going from May to October in Châlons. Now we have moved [?house] we no longer have ?? Neuve du Prêtres but to Ecole Pratique [Technical School?]. Hug Me Francoise and your brother  for me kisses Madeleine.

ADDED:
Here is my actual address:
Mlle….
c/o Misses Kaines
Egerton Lodge
Rowlands Road
Worthing

It's great to see the message translated from all those years ago - thanks again Josey, it really is appreciated
Keith

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 October 18 18:37 BST (UK) »
Just a thought, Keith....if you are going to post a series of cards/translations, it would be a good idea to number them in the title, so that responders know which one they are dealing with. This was number 3 I think? May not be too late to edit the title of this thread & go from there in subsequent ones. Only you can do this; click on 'Modify' at top right of one of your replies.

This is how Cazza59 did it with a fascinating series of postcards - Where Am I?'. The resolution of some of them showed the wide range of expertise & tenacity of many RC members.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=758294.msg6085826#msg6085826

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 October 18 18:51 BST (UK) »
Just a thought, Keith....if you are going to post a series of cards/translations, it would be a good idea to number them in the title, so that responders know which one they are dealing with. This was number 3 I think? May not be too late to edit the title of this thread & go from there in subsequent ones. Only you can do this; click on 'Modify' at top right of one of your replies.

This is how Cazza59 did it with a fascinating series of postcards - Where Am I?'. The resolution of some of them showed the wide range of expertise & tenacity of many RC members.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=758294.msg6085826#msg6085826

Hi Josey - good idea - this is number 4 & I have amended the title - I do have another 5!!
Keith