Author Topic: Wanting to purchase booklet regarding Wilton Cemetery, Hawick  (Read 2266 times)

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wanting to purchase booklet regarding Wilton Cemetery, Hawick
« on: Sunday 21 October 18 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am following up on a SCOTT family regarding information I was given long ago, in which it states a number of the members of the family (and i have a few certificates from scotlandspeople stating buried in Wilton Cemetery Hawick), but would really like to be able to purchase the book done by the Hawick Archaeology Group for myself as I am sure there will be more regarding other family members in this cemetery than just a quick look up. I have tried to find out how to purchase anything from them but coming up a blank in relation to what they sell. As I live in Australia I just cannot call in and even though I belong to the BFHS I find the request form for research difficult as I can pay only via credit card and far too long to do a postage service.
Can anyone advise where I can purchase this from or who best to contact. I have full names and dates etc for a search but really would like to obtain a copy myself.
Kind regards
Ailsa Corlett

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Wanting to purchase booklet regarding Wilton Cemetery, Hawick
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 October 18 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hello allsac. I know this isn't exactly what you requested, but have you also seen "A Hawick Word Book" by Douglas Scott? It is free on line and is a treasure trove of information about Hawick. Perhaps you can find something of interest regarding your Scott family in it. (This book was recommended to me by a fantastic Rootschatter!) Sincerely, patrexjax
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 October 18 14:11 BST (UK) »
thank you Patrexjax, I will go and search for it now, you just never know what something like that might contain
regards Ailsa

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 October 18 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Ailsac,  If you get real stuck and need a look up in the "M.I. for Wilton Old Churchyard"  I could do some look ups for you. What other names are you looking forms that would help my searching for you.
    Cheers Ann
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 October 18 08:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann

Would appreciate a look up. Can you tell me if it is actually a book that was produced or in part of the Transactions that the Archaeology Society produce.
Surname is SCOTT
Adam Scott who died 26 June 1857 and his death cert states buried in Churchyard of Wilton
His Wife Janet Leithead who died 12 June 1865 at Sunnybank, Wilton
Their Children:
John Scott d 22 May 1835
Helen Scott d 27 Aug 1830
William Scott d 14 Jun either 1827 or 1829

Plus also Adam's parents - John Scott said to have died 7 June 1835 and his wife Isabella Blaikie

I was given information about the dates of the deaths and they are buried in Wilton Old Churchyard, but the person who gave me this information did not site their sources on when or how they obtained this information. These burials are not showing on Scotlandspeople - apart from Adam and his wife Janet of whom I have the certificates, but the OPR's ones are not showing, hence I would like to find out for certain if this information is correct.

Would love to know how to purchase a copy of these MI's or Burial records as well, as usually I tend to find other family members also buried in the same churchyard.
Anything you can do, will be of assistance.

Kind regards
Ailsa

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 October 18 09:15 BST (UK) »
There is this list but it does not seem to include your names:

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/ROX/Hawick/table

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 October 18 09:17 BST (UK) »
thank you Imber,
I have looked at this list previously for many of my other family members, but unfortunately he seems to have missed mine on many an occasion, but it is a wonderful list to look at and get information.

Thank you again for assisting.
Ailsa

Offline vivdunstan

• RootsChat Member
  • Indpendent academic historian and genealogist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 October 18 09:30 BST (UK) »
The Wilton gravestone lists (for the Wilton Old Churchyard at Princes Street) were published as part of the run of Hawick Archaeological Society Transactions. You'd need to contact the society directly to ask if they have back issues still for then that they could sell to you. You would need 1939 with the names index and some earlier years as well. See my GENUKI Wilton page at

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/ROX/Wilton#Cemeteries

You can find contact details for the society on their website at

http://www.hawickhistory.scot

including a contact form you can fill out, to contact them by email.

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 October 18 09:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you vivdunstan

This is what I wanted to know and now that I know some dates I can ask them for some details and see if I can purchase any if they still have some left over.

thank you and will go and have a look at your site.

kind regards
Ailsa