Author Topic: Underwood - Atworth/Potterne  (Read 709 times)

Offline dickunderwood

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ancestor: George Underwood b. Atworth 1819
    • View Profile
Underwood - Atworth/Potterne
« on: Sunday 21 October 18 14:08 BST (UK) »
I have a relative, George Underwood born at Atworth, Wiltshire, in 1819.  His parents were John and Ann (nee Stone) who were married at Atworth in 1813.  I have a near complete listing of his descendents, but have no earlier ancestors.  As far as I know, there are few, if any other, Underwood's born or married earlier than 1813 at Atworth.

However, 12 miles away at Potterne, Wiltshire, there are many Underwoods.  There is even another George Underwood of a near similar age whose parents are also John and Ann (who married at Potterne in 1810).

It seems quite likely that these two families (and all the many other Potterne Underwood's) are related to my George Underwood, but so far I have been unable to link them.  Any information that would help me link the two families would be helpful.

NB.  These two families (George Underwood with parents John and Ann) are sometimes mistakenly listed on other family trees as being the same family.  However, the two George's are listed at different places in both the 1841 and 1851 UK census.  At the 1841 Census George Underwood from ATWORTH is listed with his wife, whilst the George Underwood from POTTERN is still listed with his parents.  At the 1851 Census  George Underwood from ATWORTH is listed with his wife and children, whilst the George Underwood from POTTERN is again still listed with his parents.
Underwood, Meakin, Budding, Curtis, Hart,

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: Underwood - Atworth/Potterne
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 October 18 16:30 BST (UK) »
I doubt if I can help you. However, the 1841 Census is online. George (20) and Maria (15) are there. I think the 1851 is there too, but didn't look at it. Extraordinary, the number of people who lived there in 1841, most of the houses now are modern, not more than 30 years old.

I lived in Atworth 2003 to 2006 when I was driven out by anti-social behaviour. I loved my house there and still miss it. Only photographs to remind me. 
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline dickunderwood

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ancestor: George Underwood b. Atworth 1819
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 October 18 16:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Regorian,

I have got images of both those census returns.  I have no problem coming forwards towards the present day with either branch of the family.  My problem is that I can not link them together going backwards to an earlier time.  Of course, they may not be related at all, but they are only about 12 miles apart in the early 1800's and people do seem to have confused both sons in other family trees.
Underwood, Meakin, Budding, Curtis, Hart,

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 October 18 17:03 BST (UK) »
Well, That's something. Going backwards is usually a lot easier. 
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.