Author Topic: Mary STAVES born c1812 Fulletby?  (Read 542 times)

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Mary STAVES born c1812 Fulletby?
« on: Monday 22 October 18 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hello.  Please can I have some help with the baptism and parents of...

Mary STAVES who married Ambrose ARMSTRONG 6th Jun 1833 in Fulletby.

I've looked at the couples marriage on the register and it doesn't give parents names:
Ambrose Armstrong Bachelor of the parish of Bag Enderby and Mary Staves Spinster of this parish were married in this Church by Banns with consent of Parents this sixth day of June in the Year 1833...  Witnesses Henry Winn and Sarah Simons(?) her mark.

On the census the couple lived in Bag Enderby, and they show that Mary was born in Fulletby.

There are some public family trees on Ancestr* which say that Mary was the daughter of Joseph STAVES and Mary TOYNE (Toine) who married in Ashby Purerorum in 1803.
However, I can't find a baptism or anything else to indicate that was the case.

There is no Mary daughter of Joseph STAVES and Mary in the baptism records for Ashby Purerorum, Fulletby or Bag Enderby for that period to 1812, but 1813 onwards are not yet available to view on LincsToThePast.
Baptism records for younger children of Joseph and Mary STAVES have still found their way onto Ancestr*.

Can anyone help me with this please?

NB
On Ancestry some public trees say that Mary was baptised at 26th Jan 1812 at High Toynton, the daughter of Mary STAVES - but no fathers name given.

I believe that the girl baptised at High Toynton was a different child, called Maria, not the Mary I am looking for, and was not the daughter of Joseph STAVES and Mary TOYNE.

Maria daughter of Mary STAVES baptised 26 Jan 1812 at High Toynton. Illegitimate.

Maria STAVES buried 14 Oct 1814 at Fulletby. Aged 2.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mary STAVES born c1812 Fulletby?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 October 18 14:24 BST (UK) »
Known children of Joseph STAVES and Mary TOYNE (Toine) married 1803 at Ashby Puerorum:

Sarah d/o Joseph STAVES and Mary his wife bp 17 Nov 1805 Fulletby (source: scan of the actual register)

Ann d/o Joseph STAVES and Mary his wife bp 14 Feb 1808 Fulletby

Richard s/o Joseph STAVES and Mary his wife bapd Feby 11th 1810 Fulletby (not 11th July per online transcriptions)

William  s/o Joseph STAVES and Mary his wife bp 11 Dec 1814 Fulletby

Toyne  s/o Joseph and Mary STAVES bp 18 Jan 1818 Fulletby. Abode Poor house. Fathers occupation labourer.

James s/o Joseph and Mary STAVES of Fulletby. Labourer. Bp 08 Mar 1823 Fulletby.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Mary STAVES born c1812 Fulletby?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 October 18 14:45 BST (UK) »
I agree this is not your Mary;

Maria daughter of Mary STAVES baptised 26 Jan 1812 at High Toynton. Illegitimate.
Maria STAVES buried 14 Oct 1814 at Fulletby. Aged 2.

Baptism;
TOYNE Staves 18 Jan 1818, St Andrew, Fulletby
Parents JOSEPH/MARY
Abode Poor House
Father a Labourer
+ JOSEPH 08 Mar 1823, abode Fulletby, Same Parents, buried 1 June 1823

As you say plenty of Children for Joseph/Mary 1805-1823 but no Mary. There is room for her to fit in though.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)