Author Topic: Jane Faichen of Wolvercote  (Read 972 times)

Offline toeckes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Jane Faichen of Wolvercote
« on: Monday 22 October 18 17:36 BST (UK) »
Looking for information on Jane Faichen who was born in 1808 in Wolvercote. Her marriage registration in Bishops Itchington Warwickshire lists her father as Thomas Faichen, a paper maker and a Jane as a spinster and resident of Bishops Itchington. I know the Faichen family once ran a paper making company in Wolvercote in the 1770s. Later census entries for Jane as wife of William Atwood are consistent in listing her birth year and place. Ideas anyone?
Marriott,  Clarke,  Jones,  Atwood,  Tilson, Brewin

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Faichen of Wolvercote
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 October 18 18:16 BST (UK) »
The marriage was 1848

1851 she is shown as b 1808 Wolvercote Kent and in 1861 and 1871 born 1806 Wolvercote Oxfordshire so a slight variation in birthyears

Do you have her on the 1841?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline toeckes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 02:18 BST (UK) »
I couldn’t find her in 1841. Wondering if she was Mary Jane or Eliza Jane or some such name. In one census she cited her occupation as formerly cook. Perhaps she was misreported in someone else’s household.

Offline Maggie jo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 November 18 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Familysearch.org shows the banns for the 1848 marriage to Attwood. You can view the original from there and that shows them as both being widowed. This would imply that Faichen was her 1st married name and not her maiden name.
Bateman Bushell Butler Dawkins Hickman King Lines Long Reynolds Stowell Tagg Walton

Berkshire Kent Oxfordshire Northamptonshire

Offline toeckes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 November 18 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the post. The marriage record from Bishops Itchington lists spinster and lists Thomas Faichen as her father. The banns record looks like it listed widow and then it’s crossed out although FS transcribed it as widow. I’ll pursue the possibility that she was a widow and see where it goes from there.thanks again.

Offline Maggie jo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 November 18 17:40 GMT (UK) »
When you said her father was Thomas Faichen i suspected that may be the case but thought it was worth mentioning. I expect you have looked at Wolvercote transcripts too but just in case.....
OFHS CD
I can not find a baptism for Jane Faichen but there is the following entry.
Jane dr of Ann Fteching, base born April 6
(the t is crossed out and t inserted between the e & c to read Fetching which is pretty close phonetically).
No other entries for this name but Faichen baptisms do start in 1804.
Bateman Bushell Butler Dawkins Hickman King Lines Long Reynolds Stowell Tagg Walton

Berkshire Kent Oxfordshire Northamptonshire

Offline toeckes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 November 18 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this info. I had not seen this. You are right about the spelling as it seems to have variations phonetically. I’ll follow the Ann Faichen lead and see where it takes me.  There are some Faichens who were born in Hampshire and moved to Wolvercote with the paper industry in the late 1700s.  Thanks again.