Author Topic: Best records to look at when visiting The National Archives (Kew)  (Read 2790 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Best records to look at when visiting The National Archives (Kew)
« on: Monday 22 October 18 17:43 BST (UK) »
I've visited the National Archives several times and have spent the majority of my time there researching the merchant navy career of my 3x great grandfather. I intend to look further into this on my forthcoming visit and also intend to look at a couple of wills.

However, I'm wondering if I'm missing something vital that could help with my family history research. My ancestors were nearly all ag labs, steelworkers and miners so nothing related to the aristocracy! I've picked up WW1 medal cards from the big family history sites and I'm aware that TNA don't hold things like parish records but was wondering what other people have researched that they found helpful or just interesting.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Best records to look at when visiting The National Archives (Kew)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 October 18 22:25 BST (UK) »
While TNA don't hold parish records, there's an LDS centre on site so there's plenty of access to them. I tend to spend about half my time there on a visit.

I like the Death Duty records but sounds as though they might not be so much use to you.

I've spent a lot of time with various Muster Rolls if you have any pre-WW1 soldiers.

There's a range of Directories in the Library but don't know what they have for Yorkshire.

If you like a good map, then there are the tithe maps. Ideally, you'd get one of the ones that haven't been put on microfiche and get to spread it out on the table.

Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 11:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, I wasn't aware that there was an LDS centre there. You're right that the death duty registers wouldn't be relevant to me, although I've just thought as a result of your comment that one of my ancestors worked as a butler and was listed in later records as a gentleman so perhaps he had a bit more money! I'll have a look for him.  :)

My seafaring ancestor was a Devon man, until I started researching my family history I thought my ancestors had always been Yorkshire and Durham people, it was quite a surprise to find that I have some southern blood in me! I do have Welsh ancestors too, not particularly easy to research as they were Jones and Price.

Thank you for the tips, they've given me food for thought.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 October 18 06:27 BST (UK) »
Have you any soldiers in your lot?

I've spent nearly all my time there looking at the army careers of three of mine. All were in India around the time of the Indian Mutiny.

The Pay Books for the regiments allowed me to see where they went, and told me where one of my ggg gfs died. His widow remarried to another soldier in the same regiment, so another trip is due.

Most army records are filed by regiment, so you need to know that beforehand.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 October 18 16:54 BST (UK) »
The only one I know of was a prisoner of war in WW1, I'm intending to look at a record that could possibly be his but other than that I don't know of any. I must confess I don't have a lot of knowledge about the world wars, not sure if they had reserved occupations in WW1 or whether that just applied to WW2. I believe miners were classed as such and if so this would apply to many of my ancestors. I'd like to look at WW2 records for some more recent ancestors but I think perhaps they're not in the public domain for the same reasons as the1939 register.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 20:13 GMT (UK) »

Hi
Sorry to hijack your thread  Roobarb.
I was reading this with interest, as there are some documents at The National Archives I would love to see - but unfortunately it’s a bit difficult to pop in from New Zealand!  :)
How I envy you to be able to go there and search  all those different departments.

I was wondering if one of you lucky people who seem to visit TNA quite a lot might be able to photograph one document for me at all please?

It is in the Court of Chancery 1662
Ref no: C 8/146/114
Rowley v Bowyer. Re property in Norton in the Moors, Staffordshire

I see from TNA website there is no charge for photography there - unlike Record Offices around the country, which is kind of them.
I did look into sending for a copy. It looks as if it would take about 2 months (I see their reply time to a first enquiry just to see if it’s possible is 24 working days! and then some), and cost quite a lot.

I would be very grateful for any help

Thank you very much
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 November 18 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Ok, I'll see what I can do on Saturday...
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 November 18 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hope you'll be able to help goldie61, I was just on my way home when the message was posted, otherwise I would have looked while I was there.

Would like to be able to visit there more often myself, it's a bit of a ahike but nowhere near as far as the other side of the world!
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 November 18 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Just to say, I enjoyed my visit but unfortunately it was fruitless.  :'(  I trawled through box after box of Crew Agreements but all to no avail. Actually I did solve the mystery of an entry on the Seaman's Ticket I was researching - it had been entered against the wrong person! At least now I know why my 3 x gt grandfather who was in his late fifties was listed as 'Boy'!  ;D
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham