Author Topic: William (aka William Henry) Brown  (Read 1139 times)

Offline jonnybrowne1956

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William (aka William Henry) Brown
« on: Tuesday 23 October 18 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm trying to trace the parents and ancestors of my great great grandparents William Brown, also known as William Henry Brown, and Elizabeth Lockett or Luckett.

The information I have is that he was born in Manchester in c. May 1814 calculated from his miltary service records which state that William was recruited into the 33rd Regiment of Foot in March 1832 at the stated age of 17 years and 10 months.

William's birthplace is confirmed by census records, and is his year of birth is shown as around 1815.

William married Elizabeth Lockett or Luckett (born Stoke on Trent c 1816) - I have found a marriage record, at Keele in February 1835, that appears to fit - and they had so far as my research has found four surviving children - Eliza Jane (born 1846 in Canada), John (my great grandfather, 1848 in Berwick on Tweed), William Henry (1850, Carlisle) and Sarah Ann Victoria (1854, Fermoy Co. Cork) - the disparate birthplaces clearly reflect William's 22 years of military service.

The family eventually settled in the West Midlands after William was discharged from the army in  1854.

William died in 1886, Elizabeth in the early 1880's.

Does anyone have any information on William and Elizabeth they could share, or (my holy grail...) any photos of the family?

Thanks!!!

Jonny
Browne/Brown, Rea/Reay/Ray, Walker, Breedon, Rowley, Smith, Lock, Davis, Griffin, Underhill, Dainter, Best, Lockett

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: William (aka William Henry) Brown
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 11:51 BST (UK) »
John (my great grandfather, 1848 in Berwick on Tweed),

Possibly John's birth registration though not 1848
BROWN, JOHN       mmn LOCKETT     
1849  June Quarter in BERWICK UPON TWEED UNION  Volume 25  Page 15
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 11:56 BST (UK) »
The 1835 Keele marriage has William Brown occ Joiner -a Bachelor - both of the parish.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 12:11 BST (UK) »
The 1851  HO107/2430 f98 p19 shows Elizabeth Brown and children staying with her married sister Johanna Sullivan age 26 (Soldiers wife) born Ireland. Also there is Johanna's daughter Susan age 3 born Scotland. 

Have you located Johannas marriage to see if therte are any clues to her father.

Offline jonnybrowne1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 19:11 BST (UK) »
Yes, that'll be the right John - he was born in November 1848 at Berwick barracks, but it may be that his birth wasn't registered unitl the follwing year due to his being a military birth.

John (my great grandfather, 1848 in Berwick on Tweed),

Possibly John's birth registration though not 1848
BROWN, JOHN       mmn LOCKETT     
1849  June Quarter in BERWICK UPON TWEED UNION  Volume 25  Page 15
Browne/Brown, Rea/Reay/Ray, Walker, Breedon, Rowley, Smith, Lock, Davis, Griffin, Underhill, Dainter, Best, Lockett

Offline jonnybrowne1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 19:14 BST (UK) »
That may suggest it's a different marriage unless they had William's occupation noted incorrectly - is that a possiblity? - as he'd been in the army for just under three years at that point.

The 1835 Keele marriage has William Brown occ Joiner -a Bachelor - both of the parish.

Offline jonnybrowne1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 19:23 BST (UK) »
I have seen that census record although I've never managed to figure it out - I can't locate a Johanna Lockett anywhere either in marriage or baptism records and did wonder if she was either not Elizabeth's sister at all, or was her sister in law. William Brown and a John Sulivan are both recorded in the 1851 census as billeted at Carlisle Castle. Susan being born in Scotland would likely be due to her father's military service I'd guess? 

The 1851  HO107/2430 f98 p19 shows Elizabeth Brown and children staying with her married sister Johanna Sullivan age 26 (Soldiers wife) born Ireland. Also there is Johanna's daughter Susan age 3 born Scotland. 

Have you located Johannas marriage to see if therte are any clues to her father.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 08:24 BST (UK) »
Yes, that'll be the right John - he was born in November 1848 at Berwick barracks, but it may be that his birth wasn't registered unitl the follwing year due to his being a military birth.

Being a military birth should not affect when a birth was registered in the UK.  Have you not purchased your great grandfather John's certificate, how have you established his mothers maiden surname

Offline jonnybrowne1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

I do have the birth certificate, which confirms that John’s date of birth was 26.11.1848 (at 4.40pm in barracks at Berwick).

The birth was registered on 04.05.1849, and his mother’s name is recorded as Elizabeth Brown formerly Lockett.

Further confirmation is provided by reference to his father’s occupation - a soldier in the  33rd Regiment of Foot.

Jonny

Being a military birth should not affect when a birth was registered in the UK.  Have you not purchased your great grandfather John's certificate, how have you established his mothers maiden surname