Author Topic: Saltwell Cemetery Gateshead  (Read 1964 times)

Offline Matherino

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Saltwell Cemetery Gateshead
« on: Tuesday 23 October 18 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

Was just wondering if there's an online map/layout of Saltwell Cemetery. Have had a look but can't seem to find one. I have details of a grave I want to see (place of burial number and grave number) but as I understand the cemetery is quite large, a layout of the cemetery would possibly make my search a lot easier when I visit there.

Any help much appreciated.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Saltwell Cemetery Gateshead
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 17:08 BST (UK) »
Have you contacted bereavement services at the council and asked them for one?

https://www.gateshead.gov.uk/article/7123/Saltwell-Cemetery
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 17:12 BST (UK) »
Also could try contacting Tyne and Wear Archives .. I can't say 100% for Saltwell but they do usually have maps of  cemeteries in their cemeteries file.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 17:43 BST (UK) »
In the absence of an online plan, when you visit you will find that there are large plans containing all the various section numbers, situated at the northern entrance on Saltwell Road and at the southerly entrance (opposite the crematorium) on Saltwell Road South.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 19:03 BST (UK) »
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Matherino

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 07:50 BST (UK) »
That's great everyone. A big help. Thanks for your replies.

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 November 18 07:04 GMT (UK) »
I was at Saltwell cemetery 2 years ago trying to find the grave(s) of my 2 x G Grandparents. The council charged (at the time) 30 pounds per lookup as nothing was on computer and the poor lady had to lug heavy books from the storeroom to find the information. I decided to spend a day at the cemetery looking.

On the map provided by River Tyne Lass the cemetery is divided into 2 parts, sections A,B,C etc on the left hand side, these graves tend to be from the 1930's onwards. The sections 1,2,3 etc are the earlier graves, dating from the early 1900's to 1920's (my 2 x G. Grandfather died in 1912). I finally found him, his wife and eldest daughter, all in one grave at the end in section 7. Of course I started at section 1!!!!

Also the graves do not run all the way down section 1 then start at section 2, they seem to run from section 1-7 at the top of each section then the later ones are a bit further down the sections (took me a while to work it out). Section 8 is all newish graves.

There is no one there to assist you, what used to be the office/residents house is now a private dwelling with a sign asking people not to make enquiries with them. Hope this is of use to you.

Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields