Author Topic: Railway Ancestors  (Read 1140 times)

Offline walter1860

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Railway Ancestors
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Scotmum for taking the time to reply!

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 14:11 GMT (UK) »
From what has been written, it doesn't seem to be worth my while trying to find records for my grandfather who worked for GWR until the end of 1940, driving expresses from and back to Paddington. I haven't got the energy any more to drive to Kew.

I have a photograph my father took in 1931 of that Dawlish section which washed away a few years ago.

In those days, upper class, aristocracy and even Royals would walk up to the cab and thank the driver and fireman for a safe journey. A more civilised time. 
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 14:53 GMT (UK) »
From what has been written, it doesn't seem to be worth my while trying to find records for my grandfather who worked for GWR until the end of 1940, driving expresses from and back to Paddington. I haven't got the energy any more to drive to Kew.

I have a photograph my father took in 1931 of that Dawlish section which washed away a few years ago.

In those days, upper class, aristocracy and even Royals would walk up to the cab and thank the driver and fireman for a safe journey. A more civilised time.

Ancestry has UK, Railway Employment Records, 1833-1956 if you are not a member the local library is a likely place to view them. TheGenealogist also has rail records

http://www.steamindex.com/people/drivers.htm

Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Ileuliah, I'm not a subscriber to Ancestry but it just happens a cousin who is, has just had a look for me.

Started GWR 10Apr1899. Wage increased to 4/6d pd? 18Feb1907. Trfrd. to Plymouth. Strange that, it was about the time he married my grandmother. My father was born Willesden 1908.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.