Author Topic: East End Parish Registers - Missing?  (Read 831 times)

Offline rebeccaclaire86

• RootsChat Member
  • I'm not stuck, I'm ancestrally challenged...
    • View Profile
East End Parish Registers - Missing?
« on: Tuesday 23 October 18 14:41 BST (UK) »
I have a branch of my family who lived in the East End of London that I seem to be missing a number of events for (I have looked under various spelling variations, checked the records myself, looked for non-conformist records etc).  I cannot find some baptisms that ought to be somewhere in the 1690's, a marriage that should be around 1710-1715 in London, a burial in the early 1720's, a marriage between 1706 and 1708.  This family otherwise crops up in St Leonard's Shoreditch, St Botolph without Bishopsgate, St Giles Without Cripplegate and St Mary's Whitechapel.

I realise this is a broad question, but is there a list anywhere of which parish registers in the East End have survived from this era - or more importantly which haven't (so I can start trying to find some bishops or archdeacons transcripts)?  The coverage of London seems really good with parish registers, but I feel I'm missing something - I know not every couple married or had their children baptised, but I'd like to try and leave no stone unturned with them!
Buckinghamshire; Bignell, Talbot, Janes, Gibbs
Cambrigeshire; Cockerton, Sharpe, Purkis
Hertfordshire; Rolph, Bigg, Marvell, Pateman, Hornsby, Jenkins
Norfolk; Crowfoot, Randlesome
London; Wyatt, Yarroll
Somerset; Date, Hodder, Leatherby, Webb
Suffolk; Palfrey, Yallop, Kerry, Codling, Steward, Pettitt
Ireland & Canada; Hanna, Teel, Cowin, Switzer

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: East End Parish Registers - Missing?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 15:55 BST (UK) »
Listings of all the parishes and availabile dates are in the London Generations pdfs available on the City of London website.

Hopefully it's easy to Google as I can't paste links at the mo. Tower Hamlets is the one you want though some you listed are more in the City rather than the East End

Bishop Transcripts for most London / Middlesex parishes only exist from 1800 so that's probably not a route available to you.

And just to add that if they strayed into Westminster parishes then they're on FindMyPast

Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 16:17 BST (UK) »
Here's the link to London Generations pages

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mwm/
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 16:19 BST (UK) »
I am not sure if any of the previous messages infer this but some may have been destroyed in the bombing raids on London.

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 18:31 BST (UK) »
Phillimore to the rescue!

When my copy was published in 1995 there was no mention of registers or records missing as a result of the blitz or anything similar.  The parishes you mention are all apparently deposited at the Guildhall library.  I suspect they're somewhere else now, but they were still in existence 23 years ago.

I know we tend not to use the IGI (as was) much these days but their search engine can sometimes turn up entries completely missed by the big subscription sites because they seem to use a different way of grouping names and you can search by forename only.  Some of your east end parishes are on the IGI for the years of interest, nothing to lose by throwing your names at the familysearch search engine and you might strike lucky.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 20:31 BST (UK) »
When my copy was published in 1995 there was no mention of registers or records missing as a result of the blitz or anything similar.

Nevertheless, a few City of London parishes do indeed have registers missing for this reason, notably some of those for Christ Church, Newgate Street. But the loss is not great in proportion to the whole.

The parishes you mention are all apparently deposited at the Guildhall library.  I suspect they're somewhere else now

They've long been at London Metropolitan Archives.