Author Topic: looking for missing people on the 1901 census  (Read 1519 times)

Offline kiffagh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
looking for missing people on the 1901 census
« on: Tuesday 23 October 18 15:42 BST (UK) »
hello,
 i am wondering is their any members who have been looking for a person missing on the census of 1901 where they were born. then years later they found them. is their anybody out there who this has happened to .
i am looking for a Cecilia(celia) finan born in January 1874 to a Michael finan and a anne Jourdan. she died in January 1953 age 74. she was born in Dromore , Dromore west county Sligo and she died in the same place. she never married and i have her on the census of 1911 in the same area.  i cannot find in the local workhouse for 1901 or even the hospital that was attached to the workhouse. any help would be great.

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: looking for missing people on the 1901 census
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 15:54 BST (UK) »
I had people missing, and my research eventually showed up that the wife and a child died about 2 days before the census.

So maybe the enumerator decided the census didn't matter that much in the scheme of things and just left the family alone.

Is this her parents in 1901
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Sligo/Dromore/Dromore/1677304/

And her in 1911
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Sligo/Dromore/Dromore/768756/

Note - she is shown as aged 30 in 1911, which would have her born in 1881 not 1874?
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 17:41 BST (UK) »
The Frank (born Francis) Finan noted as grandson in the 1911, was Maggie's child. Given Maggie was in the 1901 census, it would seem odd he was missing from it as well as Celia/Cecilia. I wonder if either/both were in hospital, although so far, no obvious C F (that is, initials only), appear in the 1901 for Sligo that would match your Cecilia/Celia by age. Also, where was Maggie by 1911 (not seeing a death/marriage), or is she the 'Mary' listed?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 18:13 BST (UK) »
Have you searched England and Scotland census in case she left to find work?
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 18:14 BST (UK) »
Have you searched for Cecilia in England, Scotland, Wales or Isle of Man on 1901 census?
I've got the opposite - a child who wasn't with her parents & brothers on 1901 England census because she was staying with her GF in Ireland. Her GF couldn't read or write; whoever completed the census form wrote the child's surname phonetically, with the wrong initial letter, and a short form of her first name, with a spelling variant that only the family in Ireland used. The same family were missing from 1891 England census; they'd probably taken their first-born to meet his grandparents in Ireland.
Cowban

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 18:21 BST (UK) »
a child who wasn't with her parents & brothers on 1901 England census because she was staying with her GF in Ireland. Her GF couldn't read or write; whoever completed the census form wrote the child's surname phonetically, with the wrong initial letter, and a short form of her first name, with a spelling variant that only the family in Ireland used.
That must have taken some finding & a lot of lateral thinking  ;)
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline kiffagh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 18:48 BST (UK) »
cwellan yes that is the family and i got her date of birth from the irish civil records

Offline kiffagh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 18:54 BST (UK) »
scotmum she was with a kate Kelly who was a farmer. to the rest of helpful members no i did not check Scotland, wales, England and the isle of man. 

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 19:18 BST (UK) »
a child who wasn't with her parents & brothers on 1901 England census because she was staying with her GF in Ireland. Her GF couldn't read or write; whoever completed the census form wrote the child's surname phonetically, with the wrong initial letter, and a short form of her first name, with a spelling variant that only the family in Ireland used.
That must have taken some finding & a lot of lateral thinking  ;)

I found her when I searched for her grandfather. That took a while too. His age had been incorrectly transcribed by 30 years. Fortunately I knew where the family lived. I turned him up by looking at every person on the census with his name in the area.
The girl was on 1911 census under her stepfather's surname. Searching census for her under the name by which she was known to my family drew blanks in 1901 and 1911.
The family returned to Ireland after 1901 census, then back to England again in plenty of time for 1911.
So no lateral thinking involved. Everyone was hidden in plain sight.
Cowban