Author Topic: Death and Burial of James Dobb.  (Read 733 times)

Offline devongirl50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Death and Burial of James Dobb.
« on: Tuesday 23 October 18 15:46 BST (UK) »
My 3rd g-grandfather James Dobb was born Jan 1809 in Exeter Devon.
He married Mary Ann Venn on 20th Dec 1835 in Saint Peter Cathedral, Exeter Devon.
They had seven children; six born in Broadclist Exeter and the seventh in West Teignmouth Devon. James, Ann,William,John,Sarah,Richard and Charles.
Mary Ann died 3rd Nov 1891 a widow and is buried in Teignmouth cemetery. She is shown as a widow on the 1871 census.
James is shown on the 1861 census as working as a carter in Woodbury Exeter. His son Richard was working with him. They were both lodgers with the Back family.
I cannot find James' death record ;one possibility in 1866 I'm waiting for that certificate. He is not buried with his wife Mary Ann.
In 1891 when Mary Ann died their eldest son James had a china shop in Plymouth.
Their surname name is often spelt incorrectly on documents e.g. Dobbs  and Dabb.
Any suggestions of where to look for James Dobb's burial?
Coles (Torquay Devon), Thomas (Teignmouth Devon), Dobb (Devon), Venn (Exeter Devon)Langdon (Devon)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Death and Burial of James Dobb.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 16:41 BST (UK) »
Death reg shows birthyear 1814 - info only as good as the knowledge held by whoever reported the death so not always reliable

If you check the 1861 there is no James Dobb or Dobbs in Devon with a birthyear of 1814 although there is another with an 1809 birthyear

Would suggest you wait for the 1866 death cert to arrive to confirm whether it’s the right one and where he actually died
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline devongirl50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Death and Burial of James Dobb.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 18:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you Carole; the paper trail so far suggests the birth year was 1809. I was surprised James was not buried in Teignmouth with his wife.
I think they struggled financially but by the time Mary Ann died their son James had become successful and he was able to pay for her plot and headstone.
Thank you your help it is appreciated. Jenny
Coles (Torquay Devon), Thomas (Teignmouth Devon), Dobb (Devon), Venn (Exeter Devon)Langdon (Devon)