Author Topic: Anyone had this problem? - GRO  (Read 492 times)

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anyone had this problem? - GRO
« on: Tuesday 23 October 18 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi guys, hope you all are having a nice evening.

Bit of a rant, but has anyone ever had problems when they wanted to order a birth that was registered under the 50 year policy the GRO have?

Went to order a birth certificate of a recent birth from the 90s and though I provided every detail from the birth index on familysearch, they had to issue a refund because I couldn't provide the complete date of birth and first name of the child's father.

Which is frustrating because I wanted the certificate to find out that actual information! It seems I cannot get the record unless I give them that information, ironically I wouldn't need the certificate if I knew the details they wanted me to provide.

sorry for the ramble, but has anyone ever had this issue?

thanks

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone had this problem? - GRO
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 18:12 BST (UK) »
If you do a search on rootschat you will find various threads about the 50 year requirements.

One thread quoted this reply to a query to the GRO [have lost the link now but obviously a while ago with 8.50 price tag:
Birth Certificate :  **********

I am sorry that you have experienced difficulties in obtaining a certificate, quoting a GRO index reference,  for a birth certificate registered within the last 50 years or a death certificate of a child aged under 16 years registered within the last 50 years.

The General Register Office has procedures concerning applications for certificates which fall into these categories which are to safeguard individual's identity and eliminate the risk of certificates being obtained with fraudulent intent.

Online requests for these certificates must include the correct date of birth or death and full parents' names.  If you do not know this information, you could contact our call centre on 0845 603 7788 Monday to Friday 8 am to 8 pm and Saturday 9 am to 4 pm.  If you can give a valid reason for requiring the certificate,  the call centre operator may be able to authorise your request for the certificate.  Payment is by credit/debit card and costs 8.50 for an application quoting a GRO index reference.

Please see   Our Website   for more information.      http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Registeringlifeevents/DG_175444

Regards 
Public Relations Unit
Certificate Services"
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone had this problem? - GRO
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 18:26 BST (UK) »
my thanks josey.

I will try and contact them tomorrow.

I have no interest or intent of committing any crime with the information, this is purely for the research I am conducting and getting the record is the only way I can find out about the father of the child