Author Topic: James WOODASON  (Read 1133 times)

Offline rutht22000

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James WOODASON
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 23:13 BST (UK) »
James Woodorson (note the spelling!!) baptised illegitimate son of Mary Woodorson 18 April 1852 at All Saints Church, Crondall.  Actual baptism has correct spelling of Wooderson.

That must be him being passed off as a son of Charles when he was a grandchild so we have him in 1861 living with grandfather Charles at Barron's Moor, Seale, Surrey (no Mary Ann with him)

Now onto 71 ..we know he's not with his mother or brother or step-father...

*Edited* 1871, aged 18, working as a groom and lodging at White Lane, Seale, giving a birth place of Tongham.   
Jeacock
Colebourne
Shepherd
Scotter
Sievers
Knowles
Pritchard
Lilley
Hart/Hertz
Woodmansey
Monnington
Thomas (South Wales)
John (South Wales)
Pearce (South Wales)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 October 18 22:12 BST (UK) »
There is a birth registration for James: Q1 1852 Hartley Wintney 2c 135

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 14:51 GMT (UK) »
`I have now received the birth certificate for James WOODISON, which shows that he was born 27 Feb 1852 at Crondall. There is no father stated on the certificate. His mother is made as Mary Ann WOODISON of Crondall, who was illiterate and made her mark.

This is consistent with the baptism found above and also with the 1861 and 1871 census findings.

There is no definite proof that I can see to say that this is definitely the man who married Elizabeth LANE in 1885, though it does seem very possible. The only problem that I can see is that all the records prior to 1881 give his birth place as Crondall in Hampshire, whilst those of 1881 and later give it as Farnham in Surrey. Not sure how to resolve this.