Author Topic: 11th Battalion Rifle Brigade War Diary  (Read 2258 times)

Offline AngieToton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
11th Battalion Rifle Brigade War Diary
« on: Tuesday 23 October 18 17:57 BST (UK) »
HI

I have bought & downloaded the 11th ( service ) Battalion War Diary from the National Archives but I don't seem to have June 1916 - my copy goes from May to July. 

If anyone has a copy of this War Diary, could you check to see if you have June 1916 please? Or whether it was never recorded.

Thanks Angie

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 11th Battalion Rifle Brigade War Diary
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 19:53 BST (UK) »
It does look as if June got lost somewhere.  It would have had to have been submitted during July so perhaps understandable. 

Alternatively, it may have become confused with 11 Bn Kings Royal Rifle Corps.  The diary for that battalion has a plethora of casualty lists for 11 RB for 1917 (unhelpfully preceded by a title page saying they are 11 KRRC casualties!!!) stuck at the end of the diary - no help to you but just to illustrate.

The 59 Brigade diary WO 95/2111/1-4 has June 1916 which has 11 KRRC mentioned of course and a detailed set of intelligence summaries which could help piece together that month.  The 20 Div HQ war diary WO 95/2095/1-5 would be worth a look.  They are both on Ancestry if you have a sub.

MaxD

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline AngieToton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 20:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks, at least I know I've not lost it.

It's just so frustrating now, I'm typing up all about my Grandfather's movements during WW1 -   he was wounded on 3rd Sept 1916 and I've got so far and missing when there was a lot of action in June 1916 when he was near Ypres, Belgium. He then moved down to France, where he was wounded in the Battle of Guillemont in France.

Thanks for your help
Angie

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 10:14 BST (UK) »
I do suggest you look at the 59 Brigade diary.  It seems clear that there was not a lot of action for 11 RB in June.  Essentially they were in and out of their sector of the line relieving and being relieved by 10RB on a 3 to 4 day schedule.  The 10 RB diary defines the sector they each were in quite clearly.  The brigade carried out only one relatively minor operation in the month and 11 RB were not involved.

Happy to help further if required.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline AngieToton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 15:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I think I might buy the 10th Rifle Brigade War Diary for June 1916 (I'm not on Ancestry) then at least I can write up what they did - I might look at the 59th Brigade too.

Thanks for you help
Angie