Author Topic: George Drinkwater, brewer, of Liverpool in 1832  (Read 2127 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Drinkwater, brewer, of Liverpool in 1832
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 November 18 15:01 GMT (UK) »
He's also a brewer on the 1836 marriage record.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 November 18 17:51 GMT (UK) »
big change in occupation,perhaps there is a will for his father Robert floating around this might be usefull
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 November 18 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Do you have any census returns with George and his wife and children n Liverpool together
,I can not find him could you let us know when and where he is,and also do you have a confirmed death recorded for George
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline pughcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 November 18 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the above content.

I have discounted the Syers family connection because whilst the databases are telling us that this could be a match , if you actually check the parish register it reads as if George Drinkwater are the given names of George Drinkwater Syers. One can then follow this individual on a different life as a druggist pharmacist in a 1827 UK Trade directory and living in the 1832 and 1835  and 1840 Liverpool Electoral Register, 1832-1970. In the 1856 Freemasons, Liverpool he is a merchant. I have two marriages fro George Drinkwater Syers; 1828, Preston, Lancs to Margaret Taylor and once more in 1865, Chorlton, Lancs.  before he dies in 1867, Chorlton, Lancs.

I will show my research on George Drinkwater, brewer below
Ingham, Crabtree, Ogden, Horsfield - Yorkshire, Dixon, Park, Spooner - Westmorland, Drinkwater - Lancashire,  Gonsalves, Tressler - Lahore, Pakistan, Oberbremer, Baute, Rieke, Lindemeier, Sewing, Mesterheide, Clauss, Althoff, Wortmann, - North-Rhine Westphalia, Germany, Grolms, Schonscheck, Weiss, Schwartz, Stephan, Weissin -West Prussia

Offline pughcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 04 November 18 22:16 GMT (UK) »
So Radcliff I have found a 1841 census on Find My Past but I cannot find it on Ancestry.

My George Drinkwater, brewer marries Cicely Spooner on 27 Feb 1832, St Peter, Church St, Liverpool. His son George Drinkwater b 1833, bt 22 Sep 1833 St Peter,  d 1833, bur. 25 Sep 1833 Everton. At this time they are at Pontack Lane, Christian St.

Their next child is Margaret Drinkwater b 17 Sep 1834, Pontack Lane, Christian St, Liverpool. At this time Mrs Drinkwater dies in Feb 1835 and she is buried in the Everton Necropolis on 20 Feb 1835. Now the child , Margaret ends up with another family in the 1841, census. A Marn (sic)  but looks like Mar Drinkwater aged 8 is living in Toxteth Park, Dist 44. 

The father George Drinkwater, brewer has remarried 25 Dec 1836, St Nicholas, Liverpool to Martha  Darlington. I can find three children to this union. Sarah Drinkwater b 1838. Rosa Jan 1841- Jul 1841 Liverpool St Peter , they are living at Mansfield Street. Lastly Mary Drinkwater bt 18 Dec 1842, Liverpool St Peter, - Jan 1845. Father George is a labourer now living at Mansfield St.

Family Search has a 1841 census "England and Wales Census, 1841," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQ2B-Q9R : 13 December 2017), George Drinkwater, Liverpool, Lancashire, England; from "1841 England, Scotland and Wales census," This has George, living at Mansfield Street, Liverpool Martha, with children Sarah and Rosa. Also living with them is John Darlington, brother of Martha Drinkwater nee Darlington.
Ingham, Crabtree, Ogden, Horsfield - Yorkshire, Dixon, Park, Spooner - Westmorland, Drinkwater - Lancashire,  Gonsalves, Tressler - Lahore, Pakistan, Oberbremer, Baute, Rieke, Lindemeier, Sewing, Mesterheide, Clauss, Althoff, Wortmann, - North-Rhine Westphalia, Germany, Grolms, Schonscheck, Weiss, Schwartz, Stephan, Weissin -West Prussia

Offline pughcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 04 November 18 22:33 GMT (UK) »
When Sarah Drinkwater marries John Plimer or Phiner Jones in 30 Aug 1865, St Nicholas, Liverpool the certificate records her father as George Drinkwater, Brewer. So whilst he may have worked as a labourer at some point in Mansfield Street about 1841 it does seem as if he was a Brewer most of the time but then moved out of Pontack Lane so may have lost his licence in 1841.

Thus my original question was around the brewing industry and licensing trade. There is a pub on the corner of Pontack Lane called the Pontack Inn. I cannot find George on any directory around 1835. I am fairly sure he is not part of the Drinkwater merchant house connected to the Isle of Man. The Drinkwaters were Lord Mayors of Liverpool but I think my individual is a lower class entirely.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions so far. I think another trip up to Liverpool is needed to check for Licensing applications.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 November 18 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for coming back to your post with lots of information,I know nothing of Brewing Trade in England and Wales but a quick google shows a few key points as in 1830 the Beer act was passed,
I wonder if any records still exist for the,The Friendly  Licenced victuallers society,it was around in 1812

Offline pughcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 05 November 18 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for that info. I will pop into the library when I am next up in Liverpool.

My interest in the family is actually the orphaned daughter, Margaret Drinkwater b 1834, who is my x2 great grandmother. I have managed to find her on the 1851 census of Silverdale, Lancashire as a 16 year old servant born Liverpool, working at Bank House working for the Middleton family. This move north away from Liverpool was expected as she marries John Dixon at Kendal, Westmorland in Oct 1853. The rest of her life is spent at Crosthwaite cum Lyth, Westmorland as a farmer's wife.

I cannot find a death for my George Drinkwater at present or a 1851 census record so he may have died around then. I have found a death for a Martha Drinkwater (second wife), 1879 (aged 69), Liverpool 8b, p 93 which may be our Martha.

Thanks again all.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 05 November 18 15:35 GMT (UK) »
So Radcliff I have found a 1841 census on Find My Past but I cannot find it on Ancestry.
Family Search has a 1841 census "England and Wales Census, 1841," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQ2B-Q9R : 13 December 2017), George Drinkwater, Liverpool, Lancashire, England; from "1841 England, Scotland and Wales census," This has George, living at Mansfield Street, Liverpool Martha, with children Sarah and Rosa. Also living with them is John Darlington, brother of Martha Drinkwater nee Darlington.

Just for information
1841 559/6/4

The family are transcribed as ‘Quinkwortin’   :o
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk