Author Topic: Henry Miller - 40th Regiment of Foot  (Read 714 times)

Offline bluefaced10

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Miller - 40th Regiment of Foot
« on: Tuesday 23 October 18 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am searching Henry Miller born abt 1848 who served in the 40th Foot Regiment as a Bandsman.  He married 1871 in Carlisle to Rebecca Emslie.  One of their children was born in Carlisle, one in Ireland and the rest in India. Henry died 1884 in Delalio ?? India and was buried there in December of that year.
Henry is shown to be born in Shoreditch with his father John Miller born Scotland on the 1851 census for Romford, Essex and visitors with a William Slipper.  Odd , so I traced back to see the relationships with Wm Slipper and John Henry.   Wm Slipper and Donald Miller born Caithness in Scotland were both in the 77th Foot Regiment about the same age and recruited in the same year. Donald in Edinburgh and William in Norwich.  I have records of Henry's death in India and his children's birth records.
      Glenda

Offline RonanM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Miller - 40th Regiment of Foot
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Glenda,
Henry Miller is my great great grandfather and I too have been researching him. I would love to compare notes. I found lots of births out in India of many more children that seem not to have made it home with Rebecca. I assume he is your ancestor too, we would be related then. My email address is (*) .. it would be great to hear from you and see if we might be able to fill in some blanks. I didn’t have the Shoreditch info or the birth place info, very interesting. It explains why I have such a lot of Scottish ancestry showing on my DNA results!
I hope to hear from you soon
Ronan

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 14:28 BST (UK) »
     Sorry, deleted post. Wrong Henry Millar.
               Regards,     Dod.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 16:51 BST (UK) »
Delalio ??

Deolali.

H Miller, Corporal, 1st South Lancashire Regiment, died of heart disease on 23 December 1884 aged 35. Is that him?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Monterys

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 March 19 16:50 BST (UK) »
I'm also related to him through his daughter Emma

Offline cherrell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 January 22 13:15 GMT (UK) »
hi Glenda and Ronan

I too have been researching Henry Miller, my great grandfather, so was delighted to see your messages! I have details of his wife Rebecca and birth dates of the children but few documents and details of his army life abroad/children's birth places or his death.
FYI, I haven't found any London connections but traced his birth to Wigton, Cumbria. The father Henry b1815, was a master blacksmith.

Would be great to compare notes.
Cherrell