Author Topic: Where did Sarah live?  (Read 769 times)

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where did Sarah live?
« on: Tuesday 23 October 18 23:26 BST (UK) »
Anyone help with deciphering where Sarah Fletcher lived? This is from the Snelston, Derbyshire marriage PR. So far I have ...

John Stonyer of this parish in the County of Derby and Sarah Fletcher of ? of the Parish of ? in the County of Derby married in this Church by [Licence?] This second day of March in the One thousand Seven Hundred and Seventy Two by me Wm Berresford, Curate. John and Sarah both signed. Witnesses Joseph Longstaff and John Thompson

Image is from Ancestry.

Thanks
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where did Sarah live?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 23:38 BST (UK) »
Could it be that she is from Clifton...and the parish of Asburn???
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 23:52 BST (UK) »
Agree with Carol - Clifton. It  was  'in the rural deanery of Ashbourne'

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Clifton

Gadget

added - quote from above link:

CLIFTON is a hamlet in the township of CLIFTON and COMPTON, and parish of Ashbourn, about a mile and a half from that town. Formerly a chapel belonging to the establishment was here, but the only place of worship, at present, is a neat meeting-house belonging to the Calvinists. The township contained, at the last census, 839 inhabitants.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 00:39 BST (UK) »
As with your other John Stonyer marriage, the allegation and bond for the licence, issued at Ashbourne, can be seen on FindMyPast (diocese of Coventry & Lichfield). Both spouses were aged 23, bachelor and spinster, and the bondsman was William Fletcher of Clifton in the parish of Ashbourne, farmer.

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 10:03 BST (UK) »
Treetotal, Gadget, thank you. I had read Clifton, but wasn't sure. I've just taken a look at maps.nls.uk as I knew that John Stonyer lived at Sides Mill near Snelston. As is usually the case, it's right in the bottom left corner of one of the maps covering Snelston, but just north east is Clifton!

David
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.