Author Topic: Eliza Stewart born Windsor NSW  (Read 1373 times)

Offline margill68

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Eliza Stewart born Windsor NSW
« on: Wednesday 24 October 18 05:10 BST (UK) »
Hi
The information I have for Eliza STEWART is from her Marriage to James CHERRY on 18 July 1856 at The Manse Windsor religion Presbyterian.
Bride
Eliza STEWART
Spinster
Birth Place Windsor
Occupation-------
Age 21
Residence Wilberforce
Father Duncan Stewart
Mother Ann
Fathers Occupation SCOTLAND [sic]
Eliza died 1902 in Queensland with Parents John Stewart and Mary Ann Grieg
I am trying to find her parents
Any help would be appreciated

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Eliza Stewart born Windsor NSW
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 05:32 BST (UK) »
I can’t see a suitable birth for her.

And no marriage for folks here, or in Scotland.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline margill68

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 06:30 BST (UK) »
Than You for tryin
I have been able to find their children born NSW
6589/1856 Cherry Alfred G Parramatta
13269/1858 Cherry Ettrick J Windsor
12463/Cherry Matilda A Richmond
16084/1864Cherry William H Windsor
Deaths
6329/1863 Alfred G
6330/1863 Matilda A
The only Queensland BC I have is for Oliver Ernest Cherry at Goondiwindi 1869.  The information on it is Eliza Stewart born Wilberforce NSW age 36
May never know who Eliza's parents were or where they came from

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 10:19 BST (UK) »
 :)

Hi,

Just as it is important to remember that civil registration did not commence until 1856 in NSW, it is also important to remember that the holdings at NSW BDM include Early Church Records for many, but NOT ALL the baptisms, burials, weddings from as early as the first fleet.

I have looked through some of my NSW resources for up around Wilberforce  and Ebenezer rather than Windsor and I can see that the Presbyterians were active in those early years.   STEWART can of course have some spelling variations and not all Reverends were excellent spellers.   I will try to make time this coming weekend to catch up on some look ups for various RChatters, and I will add STEWART Eliza to my list... :)

JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hi
The information I have for Eliza STEWART is from her Marriage to James CHERRY on 18 July 1856 at The Manse Windsor religion Presbyterian.
Bride
Eliza STEWART
Spinster
Birth Place Windsor
Occupation-------
Age 21
Residence Wilberforce
Father Duncan Stewart
Mother Ann
Fathers Occupation SCOTLAND [sic]
Eliza died 1902 in Queensland with Parents John Stewart and Mary Ann Grieg
I am trying to find her parents
Any help would be appreciated

It seems to be among the first of the civil registrations (#2112/1856 ) so, some questions ...

:) What name for the Reverend, and   
 :) who were the witnesses ... and
 :) are there the usual blanks for the information for the parents of the groom (add you have given the info for the bride but not the groom) ?
   :) :)  have you contacted the Hawkesbury family history group to see if they have further information re any blanks on the NSW BDM record? 

:)  :)  :) see http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=546609.0
and also:
 :)  :)  :) http://www.hawkesbury.net.au/community/hfhg/

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline margill68

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 22:14 BST (UK) »
Sorry I should have put all the information up for the marriage

Reg No 2112
Minister  Mathew Adam
Witnesses  Michael 'x' Flood, Lucy 'x' Carroll

Groom
James CHERRY
Bachelor
Birthplace  Dellington Huntingdonshire
Occupation  Farmer
Age 22
Residence  Wilberforce
Father  John CHERRY
Mother  Sarah
Occupation Father  House Dealer

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 October 18 02:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Do you have the NSW BDM info from their d.c. #7008 for Duncan STEWART ... the index has, in 1883, he was aged 74 years, when he died Parramatta.   Perhaps he died in the care facility there, so don't rush out to order the document just yet.   Just if you already have it, please type up the info there re any marriage, issue of the marriage, and the informant, cemetery etc. 

I can find a Duncan STEWART in the Prospect district in the 1870s... 

JM

Offline margill68

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 October 18 03:41 BST (UK) »
I don't have a death for Duncan Stewart.  I haven't looked for burials.  Fingers crossed

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 October 18 03:36 BST (UK) »
I have NOT AS YET found Eliza’s baptism  (as it should have info about her parents) ...

:) Eliza is recorded as 21 on her marriage, so born circa 1835,  Windsor NSW.  I wonder whether her baptism would be in the Ebenezer register?   
 :) I have offline resources which I confirm support the info in the following newspaper cutting ...     https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/85861068  Windsor Richmond Gaz 11 December 1914.
 :) The Windsor Presbyterian Register is dated ‘1836’, but the first entry was made on 21st February, 1838 ...... so if baptised earlier than 1838 it would not be in that register...       That newspaper cutting has some info about Rev ADAMS, and he was from Glasgow, ... perhaps his note on Eliza’s marriage re her father’s occupation (Scotland) is simply reflecting that Duncan STEWART was from Scotland?  .... I ought not speculate, sorry.

:)  :) Re the witnesses:
 :) Michael FLOOD likely was born in NSW, and so too Lucy CARROLL ... I can locate both of them in my Hawkesbury files (some of my earliest migrants arrived 1790s, and settled out at Wilberforce...)  I suspect he would be Michael Flood likely born Wilberforce circa 1825, to Patrick & Mary Flood (nee Donovan) I have had a quick look for any family relationship to STEWART or CHERRY, alas, I have not found any (three Witnesses to their 1823 marriage found in St Marys Roman Catholic registers, Sydney ... .Patrick Kirk, Michael Dwyer, Margaret Tarrington)...
 :) Lucy CARROLL likely was born in Pitt Town, (yes, right district !) daughter of Peter CARROLL, a Roman Catholic family.  I cannot find any connection to the STEWART OR CHERRY family there either, sorry, I will pull thinking cap down harder.

http://www.hawkesbury.net.au/church/bychurch.html
http://www.hawkesbury.net.au/lists/
http://pcnsw.org.au/index.php/fergusonmemorial/archives/
http://pcnsw.org.au/index.php/fergusonmemorial/family-history/
https://www.bda-online.org.au/sources/church-registers/

I will continue seeking out any info I can find on Duncan STEWART including the chap who died aged 74 years, Parramatta 1883.   :D

JM