Author Topic: Software / Resources for shared family tree management  (Read 1120 times)

Offline stannarp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Software / Resources for shared family tree management
« on: Wednesday 24 October 18 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I currently have my research hosted on my local PC using Legacy; with an online tree hosted by Tribal Pages. 

We've reached the point in our family where other members are wanting to add research into their specific lines into the tree, and I was wanting to host my base information as an shared online resource for them to add to as they research.

Does anyone have any idea which paid / free resources online will best allow me to add other people as admin / editors of a file, without us all having to share a common username and password.  To some extent most of the resources such as Ancestry will be of assistance, but we're not really after a subscription based service that allows access to records we can now also get elsewhere, so if we go the paid route, we would rather pay for rights to use the facility as once off, while retaining our own rights to the information hosted on it.  Ownership of the information hosted on many of the free resources is also an area of concern / consideration.

I've already considered familysearch, but this allows me to upload my file, but not add other 'users' to my account, which is what I really want;

Tribalpages, ditto, I can password protect and allow family members to access (possibly even add to) certain parts of the tree, but I'm not sure this will show who has added what information, which is useful from an 'audit' tracking point of view.

This subject can be contentious, with some people saying 'don't let others mess with your research', and some saying 'brilliant idea'; but after a lot of consideration, I feel that it is better that we collaborate our research into various areas of the tree, as I have neither time nor inclination to research extensively branches of the family which are not 'mine', and I trust the reliability of the people to whom I am sharing access.

There is also the consideration of what I call 'run over by a bus' syndrome, ie I would like that the research I've done to remain accessible within my family (first / second cousins) in case I get run over by the proverbial bus.

Regards,

Patricia
Current Research:
RYAN (Waterford, Ireland), BENNETT (Queenstown, South Africa), SELLER (Australia)

Top Surnames:

PHILLIPS (Stithians, Cornwall)
STANNARD (Long Stratton, Norfolk)
CAVE (Milbourne Port, Somerset)
SELLER (Staffordshire)
ROSE (Somerset)
SAUNDERS (Idmiston, Wiltshire)
SADLER (Somerset)
MERCER (Donhead St Andrew, Wiltshire)
VINCENT (Wiltshire)
SPARGO (Stithians, Cornwall)

https://stannardroseza.blogspot.com/

Offline stannarp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Software / Resources for shared family tree management
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 October 18 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Just in case anyone is wanting to achieve the same thing, I, being quite a technical soul, found a workaround solution after considering and discarding a few possibilities.

I've created a gmail account specifically for the purpose of sharing the family tree with selected family members using Google Drive.

We will all use Legacy to work on it, and given that I'm pretty sporadic on family history research, and there is currently only one other person wanting to work on it, it is unlikely that we will be editing at the same time (although it is easy to give each other a headsup via WhatsApp).

We will save and synchronise to the same locations on our respective PC's and I have set up an auto backup to keep a few versions of the file 'just in case'.  Effectively if I update the tree file, it will sync to Google Drive, to be downloaded when my uncle boots his PC and it syncs the updated file from Google Drive and vice verse.

The web page won't be an issue, as I can assign rights to whoever I like through Blogger, and TribalPages can just be the gedcom file updated periodically.

I'll mark this topic complete :-D

Regards,

Patricia
Current Research:
RYAN (Waterford, Ireland), BENNETT (Queenstown, South Africa), SELLER (Australia)

Top Surnames:

PHILLIPS (Stithians, Cornwall)
STANNARD (Long Stratton, Norfolk)
CAVE (Milbourne Port, Somerset)
SELLER (Staffordshire)
ROSE (Somerset)
SAUNDERS (Idmiston, Wiltshire)
SADLER (Somerset)
MERCER (Donhead St Andrew, Wiltshire)
VINCENT (Wiltshire)
SPARGO (Stithians, Cornwall)

https://stannardroseza.blogspot.com/