Author Topic: Litherland and Menzies - a suffragette puzzle  (Read 300 times)

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Litherland and Menzies - a suffragette puzzle
« on: Wednesday 24 October 18 10:01 BST (UK) »
I am doing some family history research for a friend; I have almost completed the project but for one outstanding query concerning a possible suffragette.

Adelaide Harriet LITHERLAND.  Born 4 Apr 1866 in Hulme, Manchester.
Married David MENZIES in 1910 in Chorlton. Their address then was 15 Fenwick Street, Hulme.
In 1911 they were living at 29 Caythorpe Street, Moss Side, Manchester and David Menzies was an engineer’s pattern maker. Two sons, Harold and Athol, were born 1911 and 1913 in Chorlton, and Allan was born 1925 in Edinburgh.

Family gossip had it that Adelaide was a suffragette. I have trawled various websites but her name never appears – either as LITHERLAND or MENZIES.

The only other fact which lends some credibility to the story is that when husband David died in 1948 in Edinburgh, his occupation was noted on his death certificate as retired political organiser! (Adelaide also died in Edinburgh in 1959.)

Adelaide and her husband were definitely in the right place at the right time for her to have been involved in the movement as the Pankhurst family were in that area too.  I did contact The Pankhurst Museum in Nelson Street, but they were unable to help me and just referred me to their Facebook and Twitter pages.

Can anyone advise on where any other helpful records may be?  Is there anywhere else in Manchester where there might be relevant documents on Adelaide, or her husband?

Living in Orkney, my only real resources are online. I would love to be able to prove – or disprove – this family story for the 80-year-old lady for whom I am doing this research.

Regards
Suzie

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Litherland and Menzies - a suffragette puzzle
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 10:12 BST (UK) »
A small correction?

Adelaide was born in 1886, rather than 1866 ;D
Christening 20 June 1886 in Hulme.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Litherland and Menzies - a suffragette puzzle
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 10:36 BST (UK) »
I know...I know!   I have just spotted it too! Aaaaargh!!!!!
Sorry...senior moment or something!!
Suzie