Author Topic: More differeing DNA results  (Read 2838 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
More differeing DNA results
« on: Wednesday 24 October 18 11:07 BST (UK) »
As several of you know you can get different DNA estimates from different companies. Having just got my "My Heritage " results back I thought I would post my results from three companies so people can see the wide variations you can get.

Living DNA

100% Great Britain and Ireland (also gives a breakdown into 10 UK regions)

FTDNA

84% West and Central Europe
16% Scandinavian

My Heritage

43.5% Scandinavian
28.6% Ireland Scotland and Wales
15.2% East Europe
11.8% Iberian
0.9% Italian

The FTDNA and My Heritage results come from the same sample. The Living DNA results come from a new sample

I guess the "moral" of the story is if you don't like the DNA results from one company try another who knows you may get an ethnicity prediction more to your liking  ;D   ;)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: More differeing DNA results
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 13:09 BST (UK) »
I've had DNA ethnicity results from

Ancestry
Living DNA
MyHeritage

The only thing they all agree on is that I am 100% European!
Davis - Berkshire & London
Sutcliffe - Yorkshire & London
Harrington - Ireland and London
Fuller - Cambridgeshire and Essex
Waldron/Waldren - Devon & London
Frisby and Lee - Leicestershire
Hollingsworth - Essex
Williams - Ireland? and London
Ellis, Reed & Temple - London
Lane - ?
Surplice/Surplus - Cambridgeshire
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 15:48 BST (UK) »
Just goes to show:
Interpretation of DNA results (especially ethnicity) is an Art form, rather than a Science! ;D ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 October 18 11:58 BST (UK) »
Had DNA results from 23andMe and Ancestry and both are surprisingly similar.  Both show that I have Jewish heritage (which I thought I had and is almost certainly linked to my g.grandfather whose origins I haven't found yet).

The best thing is that there are lots of trees on Ancestry that show my g.grandfather as the son of a certain couple, Richard and Priscilla.  In my heart of hearts, I knew this was wrong but had no way of proving it until I recently asked someone who had my family in his tree on Ancestry, how we were linked.  He said he was descended from the family of Priscilla.  Fortunately, he had done his DNA with Ancestry so when I got my results and we weren't a match, I knew that I was right and all the trees on Ancestry were wrong.  Granted Richard and Priscilla did have a son with the same name as my g.grandfather (in fact they had 2 but one died as a baby and the 2nd one named after him), but he wasn't my g.grandfather.

Believe it or not, I wrote to all the people who have this couple as my ancestors and asked them to remove my true ancestors from their tree and, without exception, they all have.  RESULT.  ::)

Offline squawki11

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 October 18 09:44 BST (UK) »
Surely the important thing is that the DNA results are to all intents identical? The ethnicity results are relatively less significant and are notoriously differently assessed by the testing companies. What's with this obsession with ethnicity? Aren't we all mixed?

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 October 18 12:29 BST (UK) »
My obsession with just one part of my ethnicity is that I hope it will lead to the origins of my g.grandfather.   His eldest granddaughter, (that is my father's eldest sister) burned all paperwork and photos relating to this man and his mother after the death of her own mother (my g.grandfather's daughter) in 1952, and apparently said "We don't want to be bothered with all that"!    My gut feeling, from photos of my g.grandfather, my gran and my dad and his siblings,  is that my g.grandfather was Jewish in origin (and either Spanish or Portuguese depending which member of the family you speak to) and, of course, in 1952 not many years after the end of WW2 being part Jewish was probably not something you would boast about.

Unfortunately, so far the only DNA matches with Jewish ethnicity are 4th and more distant cousins, although I do intend to look at them all and write to the ones I think might be able to give some assistance.  Ideally, I'm waiting for someone who is still in the UK and a match to do their DNA.  All the closer matches I have, I've worked out the link and, in most cases I'm not bothered whether these people contact me or not.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 October 18 13:21 BST (UK) »
Surely the important thing is that the DNA results are to all intents identical? The ethnicity results are relatively less significant and are notoriously differently assessed by the testing companies. What's with this obsession with ethnicity? Aren't we all mixed?

I would like to give this a big LIKE   ;D

How many times has it been said on here (and other sites) that the ethnicity results should be taken with a pinch of salt, and trace %s with pepper, vinegar and lots of other condiments.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 October 18 14:10 BST (UK) »

Precisely, which makes Ancestry's adverts to push the ethnicity aspect of the tests all the more ridiculous IMO.

I don't mind people taking them as gospel (which they are not IMO) as some do but equally I think its good that people point out the shortcomings (which I have done several times on here) and then people can make up their own minds.

:)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline squawki11

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 October 18 14:44 BST (UK) »
I'm not advocating completely ignoring ethnicity; instead I'm pushing for more folk to test and that's a struggle but possibly will be mandatory in future...

What would be a great help now would be for people who upload to Gedmatch to upload a Gedcom at the same time, please.

On top of that, can I make a plea that the utilities provided are used and in particular Tier 1 Triangulation Beta. Working towards finding that elusive common ancestor is surely better shared than attempted on one's own. This utility alone is worth a 1 off 10$ just to try it and be presented with 2 graphical presentations (one "Tree" with associated Gedcoms and the other tabular by chromosome from 1-22). In addition you can download a .csv and enter it into Excel and work on it from there by comparing your Gedcom with any others and contacting all those in your Triangulation Groups. Yes, it requires a bit of patience and grind in the hope that folk will get back to you. Well, they do but don't expect it all to fall easily into your lap - communicate!

You will have to use Word & Excel or similar and a laptop or pc - tablet/phone too small...

No, I don't get a %