Author Topic: More differeing DNA results  (Read 2884 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: More differeing DNA results
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 27 October 18 20:51 BST (UK) »
Well....being a Gedmatch user you will have noticed that some kits have uploaded a Gedcom based upon their FT. Why not take a peek and see what they've provided? You will, possibly, have noticed that Gedmatch provides a means of comparing 2 Gedcoms. I don't think they will ever provide a means of comparing an FT Excel spreadsheet to a Gedcom, but what do I know, maybe they will...

The Gedmatch team are attempting to provide a means whereby (amateur) DNA research can augment "normal" FT research and for that they should be commended and a good bit of what they have provided is free and constantly being updated and upgraded with some support from those that buy Tier 1. I doubt they're going to get rich that way.

It just makes it a bit easier for some users if they have another kit's Gedcom otherwise if you are assisting with a query why not help in this small way. A high proportion will know their way around an Ancestry or MyHeritage FT but might find it not so easy when your .xlsx lands in their inbox. I suppose there is some virtue in not using the proprietary FT programs but even the free ones have the facility for compiling a Gedcom….go on make my day and try it!

Hadn't noticed them before, just had a look at few, one or two even had a name or two otherwise Hidden Hidden.
I won't be creating one of them, or sending my tree to anyone, if they want to know, than ask. I'll answer.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 28 October 18 09:54 GMT (UK) »
A Marquessate who claims never to have seen a Gedcom, surely not? But perhaps never heard of Gedmatch, either. Oh, dear, suddenly I feel all alone out on my limb...

I'm on Gedmatch.
I just don't use any family tree programs for my tree. I just have it on my computer in Excell.

So, if we were a DNA match you might be able to give me names and dates for many of your gt-grandparents and perhaps gtgt-grandparents.  That's more info than most matches offer, and it would be enough to get me started on working out the connection.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 28 October 18 10:45 GMT (UK) »
A Marquessate who claims never to have seen a Gedcom, surely not? But perhaps never heard of Gedmatch, either. Oh, dear, suddenly I feel all alone out on my limb...

I'm on Gedmatch.
I just don't use any family tree programs for my tree. I just have it on my computer in Excell.

So, if we were a DNA match you might be able to give me names and dates for many of your gt-grandparents and perhaps gtgt-grandparents.  That's more info than most matches offer, and it would be enough to get me started on working out the connection.

Yep, I chatted with quite a few matches and worked out the connection. Mine are all Irish famlies so I can only get a couple of generations back I guess that's why all this in depth DNA research doesn't grab me, the paperwork to make sense of distant matches just doesn't exist.
I only got tested because the test was a Xmas gift but it got me to look again at some of the famlies which led on to finding a few more records so it worked out well for me and the matches that were stuck with just Ireland as a birthplace.

Offline squawki11

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 28 October 18 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Well, I suppose that's an explanation for your apparent lack of enthusiasm for Gedmatch and Gedcoms.

As for "Hidden", what's so upsetting about that? It's pretty standard to obscure the identities of living people; Ancestry & MyHeritage do it. The GRO to a degree does it with Census & BMD data. There may be ways to work around such.

It's not that difficult to compile a Gedcom and upload it to Gedmatch. Who knows, maybe there'll be a number of hits.

Wouldn't it be nice to enthuse others and then maybe more will take a DNA test in return for a little help.

I've found Rootschat very useful and perhaps my tuppence worth is attempting to return the favour, Sinnan. Is it the lack of Irish detail that's the stumbling block? There's not much anyone can do about that and yes it is a struggle trying to identify those obscure DNA links but I thought I'd give it a go and maybe, just maybe, a few Gedmatch TGs will work out.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 28 October 18 15:07 GMT (UK) »

As for "Hidden", what's so upsetting about that?

Not in the sightliest bit upsetting.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 01 July 19 11:02 BST (UK) »
As several of you know you can get different DNA estimates from different companies. Having just got my "My Heritage " results back I thought I would post my results from three companies so people can see the wide variations you can get.

Living DNA

100% Great Britain and Ireland (also gives a breakdown into 10 UK regions)

FTDNA

84% West and Central Europe
16% Scandinavian

My Heritage

43.5% Scandinavian
28.6% Ireland Scotland and Wales
15.2% East Europe
11.8% Iberian
0.9% Italian

The FTDNA and My Heritage results come from the same sample. The Living DNA results come from a new sample

I guess the "moral" of the story is if you don't like the DNA results from one company try another who knows you may get an ethnicity prediction more to your liking  ;D   ;)

As I have now received my Ancestry origins I thought I would add to the above, needless to say they are different again!

Ancestry results

88% England, Wales and Northwestern Europe
7%   Norway
5%  Scotland and Ireland

Still not taking any of it seriously thought!  ;D  ;)

James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.