Author Topic: More differeing DNA results  (Read 2885 times)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: More differeing DNA results
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 October 18 15:00 BST (UK) »
I like this explanation about what DNA may be passed down to siblings from parents, the cards analogy is a good visual explanation.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mx4/

Cheers
Guy

PS Scroll down for the cards
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 October 18 15:53 BST (UK) »
I'm not advocating completely ignoring ethnicity; instead I'm pushing for more folk to test and that's a struggle but possibly will be mandatory in future...

What an horrific thought! :o
Sounds like something proposed by the Nazi Party in the 1930's?
It was called Eugenics.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 October 18 16:09 BST (UK) »

What would be a great help now would be for people who upload to Gedmatch to upload a Gedcom at the same time, please.

I've never even seen a Gedcom, never mind have one to upload.

Offline squawki11

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 October 18 16:22 BST (UK) »
Who said anything about eugenics? Not I.

Think about all the data we freely pass to Ancestry, for one?

Think also about having to provide more and more proof of identification?

DNA'd at birth, is it so unrealistic in this day and age...

Offline squawki11

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 October 18 16:24 BST (UK) »
A Marquessate who claims never to have seen a Gedcom, surely not? But perhaps never heard of Gedmatch, either. Oh, dear, suddenly I feel all alone out on my limb...

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 October 18 16:30 BST (UK) »
https://www.gedmatch.com/login1.php

GEDmatch provides DNA and genealogical analysis tools for amateur and professional researchers and genealogists. Most tools are free, but we do provide some premium tools for users who wish to help support us with contributions. You will need to upload DNA and / or genealogical (GEDCOM) data to make use of the tools here.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 October 18 17:16 BST (UK) »
A Marquessate who claims never to have seen a Gedcom, surely not? But perhaps never heard of Gedmatch, either. Oh, dear, suddenly I feel all alone out on my limb...

I'm on Gedmatch.
I just don't use any family tree programs for my tree. I just have it on my computer in Excell.

Offline squawki11

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 27 October 18 19:43 BST (UK) »
Well....being a Gedmatch user you will have noticed that some kits have uploaded a Gedcom based upon their FT. Why not take a peek and see what they've provided? You will, possibly, have noticed that Gedmatch provides a means of comparing 2 Gedcoms. I don't think they will ever provide a means of comparing an FT Excel spreadsheet to a Gedcom, but what do I know, maybe they will...

The Gedmatch team are attempting to provide a means whereby (amateur) DNA research can augment "normal" FT research and for that they should be commended and a good bit of what they have provided is free and constantly being updated and upgraded with some support from those that buy Tier 1. I doubt they're going to get rich that way.

It just makes it a bit easier for some users if they have another kit's Gedcom otherwise if you are assisting with a query why not help in this small way. A high proportion will know their way around an Ancestry or MyHeritage FT but might find it not so easy when your .xlsx lands in their inbox. I suppose there is some virtue in not using the proprietary FT programs but even the free ones have the facility for compiling a Gedcom….go on make my day and try it!

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 27 October 18 20:05 BST (UK) »
I'm not advocating completely ignoring ethnicity; instead I'm pushing for more folk to test and that's a struggle but possibly will be mandatory in future...

What an horrific thought! :o
Sounds like something proposed by the Nazi Party in the 1930's?
It was called Eugenics.

History tells us that Eugenics was "invented" (coined) by the British in 1883 closely followed by the Americans, the Nazis were very late in being involved and their involvement was the spark that caused the interest in Eugenics to wane .
The Eugenics Records Office of New York even researched family history and the Americans were the first to sterilize “unfit” individuals, African American women, blind, mentally disturbed, deaf and even alcoholics to prevent them passing on their genes.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.