Author Topic: Odd? - or normal?  (Read 563 times)

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Odd? - or normal?
« on: Wednesday 24 October 18 12:53 BST (UK) »
I check my Ancestry DNA matches on a regular basis and today, just for a joke put "Eaton" in the surname search.

Eaton is my married surname - not my maiden name.

What was surprising was how many matches I had on MY tree for the name Eaton. Not close matches. One match was for a 4th cousin with the rest being 5th to 8th cousins mostly.
if the surname was Smith or something else fairly common I wouldn't have been at all surprised but Eaton isn't that common.

It's probably of no relevance at all but I found it rather odd!
Davis - Berkshire & London
Sutcliffe - Yorkshire & London
Harrington - Ireland and London
Fuller - Cambridgeshire and Essex
Waldron/Waldren - Devon & London
Frisby and Lee - Leicestershire
Hollingsworth - Essex
Williams - Ireland? and London
Ellis, Reed & Temple - London
Lane - ?
Surplice/Surplus - Cambridgeshire
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Odd? - or normal?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 13:23 BST (UK) »
Maybe not that odd. I see your married name has a rank of just over 500 at gbnames.publicprofiler.org with 300 occurrences per million so plenty of scope there for there to have been some Eaton's back along your line.

As it is a locational surname ie based on a place there could be many different Eaton lines all deriving the name from different locations of the same name and so not related (round about way of saying even if you did have Eaton's in your tree they may not be related to your partners Eaton's)

I actually like searching out surnames in my tree that are rare. If I ever finished doing my tree I might like to do a one name study on one of them (my actual surname is too common for that).
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 13:37 BST (UK) »
Are you and your spouse remotely from the same area, if not recently historically? Have you looked at one of those Maps that shows the surname distribution across the UK? Perhaps you come from an area where there were a lot of Eatons.

Martin

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 13:44 BST (UK) »
These things pop up for me also. Mostly on my sons line through his mother. More just names though. 1 or 2 rare enough for me to do a double take.

I havent delved into it too much but may do as a project
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072