Author Topic: "Coffin Ships"  (Read 2597 times)

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Coffin Ships"
« on: Wednesday 24 October 18 16:43 BST (UK) »
Looking for information about "coffin ships". I believe this was the nickname for those ships that left Scotland in the mid to late 19Th Century and set sail for America. Did the trip across the Atlantic actually take up to four months or more? Are there separate records kept for these ships / vessels? or were all ships departing Scotland considered "coffin ships" due to disease, number of passengers,  accommodations, etc?. I have only seen vague references to these ships. 

Any assistance will greatly appreciated.

yn9man   
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: "Coffin Ships"
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 17:47 BST (UK) »
The term ‘coffin ship’ is more usually heard in relation to ships that carried Irish emigrants to America at the time of the potato famine. According to one article on Google it could take up to six weeks to cross the Atlantic. Conditions were usually very basic on board and mortality rates high ( hence them being dubbed ‘coffin ships’).
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline eilthireach

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 18:22 BST (UK) »
You should read the works of <a href="https://www.scotstocanada.com/about-us/">Lucille Campey</a>, especially her Fast sailing and copper-bottomed: Aberdeen sailing ships and the emigrant Scots they carried to Canada, 1774-1855.  (2002).

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 18:26 BST (UK) »
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 22:04 BST (UK) »
yn9man,  try "The Amateur Emigrant!" by R.L.Stevenson, the tale of his crossing from the Clyde to New York aboard an emigrant ship, you can read this online, fascinating stuff!

Skoosh.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 23:13 BST (UK) »

http://www.historyplace.com/worldhistory/famine/coffin.htm

Sandra

Interesting link Sandra...thanks for posting. I have Irish family who went to America at the time of the Potato Famine.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 October 18 00:47 BST (UK) »

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Eilthireach and Skoosh -

Thanks for the names of the books on Scottish immigration. They both sound like books that will definitely assist me in my search for my Scottish roots.

I have requested both through my library.

yn9man 
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 22:07 GMT (UK) »
"An Amateur Emigrant!" can be read online!  ;D

Skoosh.