Author Topic: Winchester Workhouse, missing records  (Read 1124 times)

Offline YatesJones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Winchester Workhouse, missing records
« on: Wednesday 24 October 18 18:58 BST (UK) »
This is a bit of a long shot and I am hoping that someone can think of a way around this or at the very least provide some guidancce.

For about four years now I have been searching for a Maria Jones who was in the workhouse in Winchester in 1905 to give birth. Cannot find a definitive birth, marriage or death certificate for Maria anywhere; lots of leads but nothing that I can find that puts her in the right place at the right age. I have her daughter and her corresponding records but there is no father listed so unable to trace her parents that way either.

Originally I was hoping that we could find the admission or discharge notes from the workhouse but apparently there are two volumns that are badly damaged or missing that we are unable to access and neither is the Hants records service. I have been able to prove that the daughter and Maria were in the workhouse through another volume of notes and also that Maria's stay was paid for by her father, which suggests she wasnt abandoned.

I suspect this may be one of those that I have to chalk up to experience and hope that at some time the records will be conserved but would appreciate anyone giving any ideas of places I may have missed.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Winchester Workhouse, missing records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 October 18 16:17 BST (UK) »

I have been able to prove that the daughter and Maria were in the workhouse through another volume of notes and also that Maria's stay was paid for by her father, which suggests she wasnt abandoned.

So we know her father was still alive at the time.  Have you found him in 1911 or do the records just say "her father" and not name him  :-\

Does her daughter stay in the same area?  What was her name?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 October 18 16:32 BST (UK) »
There's a Maria Jones in Hampshire born 1888. 

In 1901 she is a niece to Robert and Charlotte Harris.

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 October 18 17:41 BST (UK) »
Do the workhouse records disclose Maria's age, or any address associated with her or her father?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline YatesJones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 October 18 20:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the responses, to summarise;

avm228 - no all it says in the only record Ive found is that her stay was paid for by her father
Milliepede - think I have looked at every Maria Jones and tracked the families, that doesnt seem to be connected with the family

Her daughter stayed in the area and I have confirmed the connections, her name was Lilian

Its my biggest brick wall and drives me mad. Dont expect to find Lilians father I just wish I could track Maria somehow!