Author Topic: Dunmurraghoe & Doonard Townlands - Luke Kelly  (Read 1332 times)

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dunmurraghoe & Doonard Townlands - Luke Kelly
« on: Thursday 25 October 18 06:24 BST (UK) »
I'm researching a Luke Kelly from Dunmurraghoe townland in Elphin parish in County Roscommon (I think he might be my 4th great grandfather).

Luke appears seems to have had the following children with an Ann Doyle, all baptised in Elphin parish except the last at Strokestown and with some giving a residence of Dunmurraghoe on the register:
- James (Jacobus) 1825
- Honora 1831
- Patrick 1833
- Michael 1845

Obviously there are some big gaps between recorded children, so there may have been more. One of them I think was probably my possible ancestor, the Thomas Kelly who was recorded as the bride's father at the marriage of Thomas Madden & Margaret Kelly in Kilglass parish on 7 Nov 1873. The bride's mother was noted as Mary Flanagan while the groom's mother was not recorded.

This couple (Thomas Madden & Margaret Kelly) lived at Dunmurraghoe for most of their married life and it was a townland of only 3 households so perhaps they inherited. The first time I find them at Dunmurraghoe is in 1879 (they seem to have been in Ballyfeeny & nearby before that - this place was noted as their residence in 1873 when they married and the residence was noted as Tully when they baptised a child Thomas before marriage on 11 Aug 1873.

The Luke Kelly that I am interested in is recorded at Dunmurraghoe in 1825 at the baptism of a son and apparently in 1857 in the Griffiths Valuation. I suspect he accounts for one of two death registrations in Strokestown district by that name: 1865 aged 62 or 1867 aged 80.

For the latter 1867 death record there is a will calendar saying Luke Kelly of Doonard and appointing a Michael Kelly as executor: http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/search/cwa/details.jsp?id=1639301026

I am wondering whether this Luke Kelly of Doonard could be the Luke Kelly of Dunmurraghoe? These townlands appear close - does anyone know if someone from Dunmurraghoe might be described as someone from Doonard in a will calendar?

Also, is there any way (paid or otherwise) of getting access to the actual wills that sit behind the will calendars?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dunmurraghoe & Doonard Townlands - Luke Kelly
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 October 18 21:14 BST (UK) »
Also, is there any way (paid or otherwise) of getting access to the actual wills that sit behind the will calendars?
Did you read through the notes? Since the Will was proved at the Principal Registry-
http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/search/cwa/home.jsp
Important: the fact that there is an entry in the Calendar does not mean that the will or letters of administration referred to survives. There are copies of all wills proved elsewhere than the Principal Registry from 1858 to 1922 available in the National Archives. There is a full set of original wills for everywhere except the Principal Registry from 1900 on, and for the Principal Registry from 1904 on.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline maz

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Saw your post on Luke Kelly. We most likely have a family connection. The Thomas Madden and Margaret Kelly you refer to from Dunmurraghoe and Doonard were my Great Grandparents.
I unfortunately do not have much information on Luke Kelly but I suspect he may have been my Great Grandmothers uncle and brother of Margarets father Thomas Kelly formerly of Ballyfeeny .
Thomas Madden and Margaret Kelly had 7 children to my knowledge. Some of the children were born Dunmurraghoe and others Doonard. The family were resident in 1901 at Dunmurraghoe.
Thomas Madden died 4th June 1908 at Doonard .
I have yet to connect with anyone who has a direct link to My Madden and Kelly families of Roscommon until now and am eager to share information with you if you are willing.
Marion (a distant cousin )

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 12:20 GMT (UK) »
C Reg Birth, Marriage and Death results for Madden of Strokestown DISTRICT

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01n3i/
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.