Author Topic: Mineral rights  (Read 1395 times)

Offline axholme1234

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mineral rights
« on: Thursday 25 October 18 09:25 BST (UK) »
My father said his father had a dispute with Earl Fitzwilliam about the mineral rights under his house, which my grandfather won because his house was built on the course of the old river Don and you can't own the mineral rights under a river. Is this likely to be true?

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: Mineral rights
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 October 18 09:46 BST (UK) »
My father said his father had a dispute with Earl Fitzwilliam about the mineral rights under his house, which my grandfather won because his house was built on the course of the old river Don and you can't own the mineral rights under a river. Is this likely to be true?

I am dubious. Mines have been carved out under whole villages before - why should a river make any difference? If we ignore the possibility of family misunderstanding, can you please tell us when and where this was supposed to have happened?

Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 October 18 09:51 BST (UK) »

Unlikely but it would really depend on when and exactly what minerals you are referring to (Even what constitutes a mineral has changed over time.
With most legal disputes the devil is in the detail.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 October 18 09:53 BST (UK) »
Mineral rights may be written into the deeds of the house.

When I owned a house in Somerset my deeds specifically mentioned mineral rights.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 October 18 09:54 BST (UK) »
Sounds unlikely to me. I think mineral rights are usually covered by a clause somewhere in the sale contract, lease or tenancy agreement. I suspect rivers have been diverted in the past if there were valuable minerals to be quarried there.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 October 18 10:03 BST (UK) »
The FitzWilliam family operated coal mines, reputedly employing over 2000 men at their peak.
So it is very likely that mineral rights (specifically for coal) were kept by the family.

Coal mines run under towns, villages, rivers and even the sea!
So retention of the mineral rights would have been key to expansion.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 October 18 10:13 BST (UK) »
In Scottish feus, mineral rights underneath were always reserved to the superior, though theoretically the land had to be put back to the original state if he decided to exercise the right. Only if the land was sold as an outright disposition were mineral rights transferred to an individual. The superior also owned mineral rights under river beds - to the centre if the river was a boundary between estates. If the river changed course naturally the boundary changed with it, but if the river was diverted an exchange of equal areas of land [contract of excambion] was made.

ADDED: Have you looked in the newspaper archive to see if there were any reports of the case, axholme1234?

Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline axholme1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 October 18 17:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you to everyone who has posted a comment. I agree it seems unlikely. In my village in the Midlands, the coal mine went under the river and the Norman church. It just seems an unlikely thing for my father to have made up. The disputed land was in Luddington on the old river Don on the Yorks/Lincs border. Dad even said that it went to the House of Lords (maybe because of Earl Fitzwilliam?). I guess it would have been around 1900, but I haven't tried the newspaper archives because it may have been anytime between, say 1890 and 1930.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 October 18 17:55 BST (UK) »
If it went to the House of Lords it was because that was the highest court in the land, rather than because of who the parties were.

It would help to know your grandfather's name if he was a party to this litigation.

Also - you can search newspaper archives without dates, if you know other search terms such as names.

I can't immediately see anything relevant in the official law reports, but can look again if a name is provided.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)