Author Topic: Is there a Long Addenham nr Haddenham?  (Read 2294 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Is there a Long Addenham nr Haddenham?
« on: Thursday 25 October 18 09:58 BST (UK) »
I have already queried this, mistakenly on Cambridgeshire board (don't ask why, confusion increasing daily!!).

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=802449.0

My 4G grandmother, Sarah Higgins, nee Clark/e was born about 1784.

In 1851 her birth place is given as Long Addenham, Bucks; in 1861 it is given as Haddenham, Bucks. She was living in Kingsey, Bucks in 1841, (51 see later) and 61 censuses.

I wondered if there was a Long Addenham nearby at all? Are there any Buckinghamshire parish records available online?

Hoping someone with local knowledge will be able to help me out.

Regards Margaret

Modified, in case anybody looks her up in census. In 1851 census living with her daughter, Keziah Hawkins, in Reading, Berkshire.
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a Long Addenham nr Haddenham?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 October 18 10:17 BST (UK) »
I think Long Addenham is in Yorkshire?

Quoting from "The works of Thomas Gray":
" I passed through Long-Addenham, Ilkeley, (pronounced Eecly) distinguished by a lofty brow of loose rocks to the right; Burley, a neat and pretty village, among trees; on the opposite side of the river lay Middleton Lodge, belonging to a Catholic gentleman of that name; Weston, a venerable stone fabric, with large offices, of Mr. Vavasour, the meadows in front descending gently to the water, and behind a great shady wood."

Also mentioned is Farnley and Otley.
I suspect Burley is Burley in Wharfedale or Burley Woodhead?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 October 18 14:07 BST (UK) »
Have you also checked Oxfordshire,   Haddenham/Kingsey are very close to the County boundary  :-\

Where did she marry
Presume she is the 1803 marriage at Kingsey to John Higgins
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sc00p

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 October 18 19:58 BST (UK) »
No Long Addenham to the best of my knowledge.  There is a Long Crendon.
The 1851 has her visiting Reading with the Hawkins family and not in Kingsey?  Looks like Keziah Hawkins (34y) may be her daughter as there is a Kingsey baptism for Keziah Higgins  (Father John, Mother Sarah) 2 Oct 1817.

Have you looked at original PR's or just indexes. 

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 October 18 21:17 BST (UK) »
Just Haddenham written phonetically?

I am not aware of a "Long (H)addenham" but the present large village is mostly modern development linking a group of hamlets.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 October 18 05:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your replies.

Apologies, in 1851 she was indeed with her daughter Keziah in Reading, not in Kingsey. Very likely that if she had said 'addenham in Kingsey it would have been recognised as Haddenham. But I was wondering if the 'Long' made it a different place.

I haven't seen any PRs for Haddenham, Buck8nghamshire at all, or any transcriptions, there don't appear to be any online. When I first looked, Familysearch came up with Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, which led me to posting on the Cambridgeshire board, not realising (or properly thinking!) that they were different places, hence the somewhat sarcastic comments on the Cambridgeshire board!! Fully justified, I might add.

If anybody could point the way to any, or do a look up for me, I would be extremely grateful. Sarah Clark was my 4G grandmother, I haven't got very far really with this family.  If I had mtDNA testing, Sarah would be the earliest on that line that I have found so far.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 October 18 10:01 BST (UK) »
Buckinghamshire Baptism Index on FindMyPast. Includes Haddenham. Free info given in search results - name, parish, year of baptism, names of parents.
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/buckinghamshire-baptism-index

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 October 18 10:27 BST (UK) »
Hi
My vote is  . . . . . Haddenham Low ( aka Low Haddenham ? )    Just a little closer to Aylesbury.     

Consider also, various permutations of H / H written almost as an L / with Addenham-Haddenham-etc., could get same effect when enumerator tries to transcribe notes taken down.     

Almost in the (recent RC thread) form of "Lawyer / Hurdle Maker" came from "Sawyer / Hurdle Maker"     ?

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 October 18 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi
My vote is  . . . . . Haddenham Low ( aka Low Haddenham ? )    Just a little closer to Aylesbury.     

Consider also, various permutations of H / H written almost as an L / with Addenham-Haddenham-etc., could get same effect when enumerator tries to transcribe notes taken down.     

Almost in the (recent RC thread) form of "Lawyer / Hurdle Maker" came from "Sawyer / Hurdle Maker"     ?

Ray
Haddenham Low is, and was, a single property, I agree that it is likely but only if there is a direct family connection with the farm.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex