Author Topic: Home secretary apologises for immigrant DNA tests  (Read 478 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Home secretary apologises for immigrant DNA tests
« on: Thursday 25 October 18 13:24 BST (UK) »
A topical news story.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45979359

It is ironic that most people on RC would jump at the chance for a free test. (I know these in the article are for ethnicity reasons, but, bearing in mind the unreliability of them, it is again ironic that people have been forced to have one.) (No political comment intended nor inferred!)

Martin

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Home secretary apologises for immigrant DNA tests
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 October 18 16:55 BST (UK) »
Interesting. Doesn't say exactly what they were looking for in the DNA testing. The inference is that they were looking at ethnicity, as we all know that is the least reliable!!

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 October 18 17:41 BST (UK) »
From the snippet I heard, it sounded like they were trying to prove a connection with someone already living in the UK. I don't think ethnicity came into it   :-\
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 October 18 18:25 BST (UK) »
From the snippet I heard, it sounded like they were trying to prove a connection with someone already living in the UK. I don't think ethnicity came into it   :-\

Yes when I saw an item on this on BBC news this afternoon it was explained it was to try to detect a familial connection and no mention about ethnicity analysis at all
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.