Author Topic: Opinion on possible births  (Read 768 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Opinion on possible births
« on: Thursday 25 October 18 15:29 BST (UK) »
William DALE [1803 - 1858] born Leicester died Somerby married 27 Dec 1824 Thrussington Eleanor GARNER [1804 - 1844] born Thrussington died Somerby daughter of Daniel GARNER & Ann PHIPPS.

I feel realonabley confident of the following births/baptisms at Somerby however the mother is named as either Ellen or Eleanor:
William bap 21 Mar 1830 [Eleanor father William Labourer]
John bap 12 May 1833 [Ellen father William Labourer]
Eleanor bap 1 Apr 1836  [Eleanor father William Labourer]
Thomas bap 24 Dec 1837 [Eleanor father William Labourer]
Daniel bap 22 Dec 1839 [Eleanor father William Labourer]
Ann 4 months old in 1841 census so a birth about dec 1839 [as yet baptism not located but living with correct parents
James born about 1843 and with his parents and  siblings in the 1851 census [father widower] but like Ann I am unable tolocate his baptism

There are three children baptised in Thrussington [father William andmother Ellen] of which I am uncertain and seeking an opinion namely:
Thomas baptised 1824
Mary baptised 1826
Ann baptisedin 1827

The children 'fit' in terms of the timeline but its the differnet location and mother's forename that doesnt 'fit' perfectly as she is named Ellen.  However the child John  bap 12 May 1833 in Somerby has the mother named as Ellen.

Your thoughts please.

Westy

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Opinion on possible births
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 October 18 15:54 BST (UK) »
It seems unlikely that 6 years would pass from marriage to first child. The repetition of the names Thomas & Ann would suggest that - if they did belong to your William & Eleanor/Ellen - the 1824 Thomas & 1827 Ann died in infancy.  Have you found burials of a Thomas before 1837 & an Ann before 1840 [a 4 month old in 1841 census would have been born ca Dec 1840, not 1839].

Eleanor may have been staying with her parents for births of the three children in question  :-\. How far apart ore Thrussington & Somerby?
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Online DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 October 18 17:08 BST (UK) »
Ann Dale buried on 3rd April 1828 in Thrussington.

Thomas Dale, infant of Somerby, was buried in Thrussington on 4th May 1838, which links the two locations.
We went through Somerby about a month ago and close to the road to Thrussington.

I can't see a burial for the first Thomas.

DALE, ANN mmn GARNER 1840 D Quarter in MELTON MOWBRAY Volume 15 Page 199

DALE, JAMES mmn GARNER 1843 M Quarter in MELTON MOWBRAY Volume 15 Page 211

David

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 October 18 18:30 BST (UK) »
Ellen is a shortened version of Eleanor. I have it occuring several times in my tree - for example baptised Eleanor yet down as  Ellen on the Census.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 October 18 03:05 BST (UK) »
Many thanks josey, Emeltom & David.

Sometimes living on the opposite sides of the world means one lacks some local insight especially as to distances etc.

I thank you very much for putting my mind to rest and for locating Thomas and Ann's burials.  Also the linking between the two towns/villages was perfect.

Westy