Author Topic: Problem with VMware Workstation  (Read 3485 times)

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Problem with VMware Workstation
« on: Thursday 25 October 18 15:43 BST (UK) »
The installation of https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_workstation_player/15_0 seemed to work but, after attempting to create a new virtual machine, the following appeared.  **   
Can anyone help, please?

I had, also, attempted to install VirtualBox which seemed okay until I tried to import the Ultimate Family Tree programme from a disk and was told that a programme should be imported from drive D and it did not recognise that a disk was in the drive. Thank you.

This host supports Intel VT-x, but Intel VT-x is disabled.

Intel VT-x might be disabled if it has been disabled in the BIOS/firmware settings or the host has not been power-cycled since changing this setting.

(1) Verify that the BIOS/firmware settings enable Intel VT-x and disable 'trusted execution.'

(2) Power-cycle the host if either of these BIOS/firmware settings have been changed.

(3) Power-cycle the host if you have not done so since installing VMware Player.

(4) Update the host's BIOS/firmware to the latest version.

This host does not support "Intel EPT" hardware assisted MMU virtualization.

Module 'CPUIDEarly' power on failed.

Failed to start the virtual machine.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with VMware Workstation
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 October 18 16:20 BST (UK) »
I would suggest searching the internet for a short segment of the different error or status messages that you are seeing. Generally somebody else would have had the same message and probably found an answer.

Martin

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 October 18 16:34 BST (UK) »
If you search for "How to enable Intel VT-x" then you'll be well on the way to sort it out.

It's an option in the BIOS (the screen that you see even before Windows or Linux boots up).

On many machines to hit the DEL key (or it may be a particular function key) as soon as your machine is turned on. You'll probably find it under the heading of "Chipset" or "CPU" and "allow virtualisation" - from what I can remember.

I would reboot this machine but I've got some jobs running at the moment, so I can't.

All the best,
Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 October 18 16:34 BST (UK) »
I would suggest searching the internet for a short segment of the different error or status messages that you are seeing. Generally somebody else would have had the same message and probably found an answer.

Martin

Thank you I just did a search and came across
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co2b3RjMQeQ
but I don't think I am technologically able enough to do what is in that.

Thank you to Trystan, too.

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 October 18 16:45 BST (UK) »
Just found this, too
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings-winpc/cannot-find-the-option-to-enable-intel-vt-x-in/c9203f8a-da57-43be-8c75-cfe43d55cd70
but I am sorry to say that my brain will not take it in.

I think we shall just have to do without a virtual machine.  I would not want to damage the computer.