Author Topic: Confirmation of names in Will [1571]  (Read 307 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Confirmation of names in Will [1571]
« on: Thursday 25 October 18 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm hoping someone here can confirm my reading/transcription of some names and relationships given in the 1571 Will of John Lye of Sandwich. I have been able to read most of the Will without problems except for a small section in the middle and at the end - which are the sections where the most people are named.

I am attaching some extracts and I'd appreciate any confirmaton or corrections to my reading of them.

Extract 1

In this extract I think it says "I bequeath unto my brother John Iden" but I'm not sure of that surname. In the line below it looks like he says "my father in lawe Mr Robert Walker" but again I'm not sure of the surname which I think might also be Walters possibly. In the last line I'm pretty sure he mentions "Francis Iden son of the said John"

Extract 2

I'm more or less happy with this section and I think the people mentioned are as follows:

"my sister Margery Lee widdow" and "Alexander Lee and Anne Lee natural children of the said Margery"

I think this John is probably the brother of Andrew Lee who married Margery Weldon in 1557. Andrew and Margery had three childre, Alexander, John and Agnes and I think it might be this Alexander and Agnes who are refered to in the Will.

I think John Iden might be a half brother to John as I have the Will of John's mother Katherine Lee in which she appoints her son "John Iden" as executor.

Many Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Matt

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Confirmation of names in Will [1571]
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 October 18 18:33 BST (UK) »
First image:

Agree with John Iden.

Roberte Waferer    This could be a variant of Wayfarer.

ffrances Iden

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 October 18 18:39 BST (UK) »
Second image:

I agree with your transcripts (although I would transcribe with the original spellings).

Also:  Luce warde wydowe

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 October 18 20:57 BST (UK) »
Second image:

I agree with your transcripts (although I would transcribe with the original spellings).

Also:  Luce warde wydowe

Hi

Thanks for those. What would you make the spellings out to be? I think Margery is written Margeye but that's just a guess looking at it quickly.

I've found a Will for John Iden and also one for Francis Iden today which might give more details about this family as well.

In her Will, Katherine Lee mentions her "cousin John Alexander" and I've also found a couple of Alexander/Elexander Wills which include mention of John Iden so I think there's a link there too. I'm just trying to work out what exactly Katherine meant by "my cousin" as the term wasn't the same as we use it today.

Thanks again

Matt

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 October 18 21:11 BST (UK) »
Written margerye.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs