Author Topic: George Rose(b.Gateshead 1877)  (Read 4838 times)

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Rose(b.Gateshead 1877)
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 October 18 09:08 BST (UK) »
Oh,sorry folk's this may not be anything but James'middle name was "Errington" nothing seem's to
ring a bell onMargaret's side of the family.
Bland(Chester-le-street) Round(Dudley/Durham)Kirton(Gateshead)
Smith(Gateshead)Littleton(Sacriston)
Wayman(Cambs&Newcastle)Green(Lincs)Smith(bucks)
Watson(Gilling west & Gateshead)

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 July 19 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hi folk's,Boo sent me a link to the GRO index site which has helped fill a good few gaps with having
pre 1911 Mothers maiden names,as I was skirting around various family mysteries I re-visited
George Rose,as stated earlier the twice he's found in census records 1911 and 1881 his birthplace is listed as Felling on Tyne.What district would this come under for registration for in 1876? Gateshead
turns up only one birth over a two year either side period of George Lashley Rose who is definitely
not him.
           Now some documents have come to light after the passing of my mother in law which on a
certificate has him as John George Rose there's a South Shields birth under that name but a piece
of family folklore from his daughter in law (she never knew him as he died on service in India 1916),as I've stated before she claims his
 father was Russian? Could we be looking for an anglisized name from a longer possibly
jewish name? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 July 19 01:52 BST (UK) »
Searching the Durham Registrars site for the marriage of Margaret Douthwaite in 1907 comes up with the following
“other index entries for this marriage:
ROSE, George
THOMPSON, Margaret “

So her birth surname was Thompson.
Bearing that in mind, depending on who registered the birth, the MMN for the children could be recorded as either Thompson or Douthwaite.
The following looks likely in the GRO online index:

1 step son: Thomas William DoWthwaite ** , MMN THOMPSON,  Q4 1904, Lanchester District
** NB I didn’t find anything first time so switched to ‘similar sounding ‘ rather than ‘exact match’ for the surname

2 John George Rose,  MMN THOMPSON Q2 1909, Lanchester District

3 James Errington Rose, MMN DOUTHWAITE, Q4 Lanchester District

Boo

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 19 July 19 11:02 BST (UK) »
Thank's Boo,I noticed yesterday Margaret used here first married name for Jim(my wife's Grandad)
there was a sister Alice born in 1915 too,incidentally Jim married Mary Ann Wilson and step brother
Thomas married her sister!John George was a wanderer some of the papers we have show unemployment
claims he made on his visits home listing previous work all over the country,he joined the army in 1932
but was discharged as unfit of course in 1939 they were only too happy to invite him back into the Royal
artillery he was wounded and treat for Neurosis (bomb happy)which led to more wandering,he visited Jim
in the late forties but was never seen or heard from again.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 19 July 19 13:16 BST (UK) »
I have seen lots of instances of  births were  either a mother's previous married name or her birth surname were recorded.

It may well have depended on what question was asked, even if the mother registered the birth.
What was your surname before you married the baby's father?
What was your maiden/birth surname?
May produce different answers, each correctly answering the question which was asked.

Boo

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 20 July 19 09:41 BST (UK) »
Have you ruled out the 4 year old George Rose living in Houghton-Le-Spring in 1881 with parents George and Mary? Dad is a coal miner from West Herrington. Mother is from Blaydon. Little George is shown as born in Flintshire, Wales. This could account for not being able to find a birth record in County Durham and by the time he grew up the fact that he was born elsewhere could have been long forgotten. Age fits and quite likely he might have followed Dad into the pits. Parental birth locations are not too far from Felling. Sibling birth locations spread around the country, so quite feasible that none of them may have been sure where they were from when they gave census info as adults.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 20 July 19 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Craclyn,to be honest I do know this George I think(only think mind) I've come across him in later
census along with the other very few matching names in the Durham area.I'm leaning towards my wife's
Grandmother's "tale" of a foreign father and possible name change,I was looking back at note's made back
when library trips were the only way of family research yesterday and I'd made note of a Lawrence Rose
in Gateshead b.Russia but looks like I didn't find anything else out.As stated in an earlier post I think he is
the George Rose b.Felling aged 14 boarder 31 Willington Street Heworth in the 91 census but that's the
only hit from 1881 till 1911.

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 12 August 19 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi folk's,I've searched the GRO registers and I'm convinced George whatever he may have been told
probably wasn't born in Felling,as I think I might have mentioned some documents recently received
after my mother in laws passing has a reference to him as John George Rose again nothing in Gateshead
did find a birth in South Shields registration district mother's maiden name Bowers.Marriage 1874 in SS
George Rose to Susan Bower's had a look but can't find them in the 1881 or later cencus wondered if
anyone can see something I can't(only have access to 1881).

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 12 August 19 11:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

Its not clear (or I have missed it)
Do you yet have the marriage certificate for George Rose and Margaret Douthwaite (nee Thompson) ?
That will tell us his Dad's name / occupation and give a better chance of finding him on earlier census returns.

Boo