Author Topic: Shakespeare family  (Read 1229 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shakespeare family
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 October 18 01:50 BST (UK) »

Think this is the parents marriage in Aston Cantlow

Roger HASTERLY of the parish labourer and Sarah MORRELL of the parish spinster married by Licence
9th July 1759

As a granchild was baptised into Catholic church it's possible grandparents were R.C. too. Catholics who could afford it might marry by licence rather than banns. If there was a Catholic chapel or mission existing in the area at the time the couple may have had a Catholic wedding ceremony as well. There may be no record of it.

Yet another version of Sarah's surname, I see.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shakespeare family
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 October 18 02:10 BST (UK) »

The only other children that I can spot to the couple (Roger and Sarah)

Ann bpt. 13 May 1764 in Great Alne  (Anglican baptism)

Thomas bpt  9 March 1769 in Wooten Wawen ( Anglican )

Winifrid bpt 21 March 1771 in Coughton ( Roman Catholic baptism)

Claire

When do Catholic baptism registers begin for those areas? There may have been unrecorded baptisms. A priest usually baptised the baby at home within a few days of birth.
If Roger and Sarah were both R.C. the entries in the baptism register for Ann (1764) and Thomas (1769) may not have been baptisms performed by Anglican clergy. They may have been recordings of births to R.C. families. My Catholic 4xGGM born 1765 was in C. of E. baptism register, as were all her siblings and cousins. The Anglican curate was an excellent record-keeper and had all the information he needed to make an accurate Return of Papists for his parish in 1767. He and his successor continued recording births of Catholic children for another 40 years.
Cowban