Author Topic: Birth, baptism, census, immigration - George Francis Smith  (Read 2522 times)

Offline Mira

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth, baptism, census, immigration - George Francis Smith
« on: Friday 26 October 18 05:55 BST (UK) »
Died at 105 Underwood Street, Paddington,Sydney,Australia on 11 January 1901 (I have death cert, morgue records). Married 31 July 1873 in Paddington to Mary Ann Elizabeth Ham (cannot find marriage certificate but this is mentioned on Florence's birth cert). Eldest child of 10, Florence Rose Glencora Smith, born 25 March 1895 at 38 Hargrave Street Paddington. First child Mary Ann Elizabeth born 6 May 1874.

Death certificate says he has been in NSW 27 years ie arrived c. 1874 and that he was born in London. Listed as a labourer on daughter's birth certificate.

I can't find immigration records nor any records in London as there are so many George Smiths.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Birth, baptism, census, immigration - George Francis Smith
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 October 18 07:45 BST (UK) »
Died at 105 Underwood Street, Paddington,Sydney,Australia on 11 January 1901 (I have death cert, morgue records). Married 31 July 1873 in Paddington to Mary Ann Elizabeth Ham (cannot find marriage certificate but this is mentioned on Florence's birth cert).

Eldest child of 10, Florence Rose Glencora Smith, born 25 March 1895 at 38 Hargrave Street Paddington. First child Mary Ann Elizabeth born 6 May 1874.

Death certificate says he has been in NSW 27 years ie arrived c. 1874 and that he was born in London. Listed as a labourer on daughter's birth certificate.

I can't find immigration records nor any records in London as there are so many George Smiths.

Welcome to rootschat

You don't tell us what year  he was possibly born.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 October 18 08:04 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Is this your George Francis Smith?

George Francis Smith
Birth Place England
Death 11 Jan 1901  Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Kay

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 October 18 08:06 BST (UK) »
This is a possibility for marriage as same date as you have stated:

767/1873 SMITH George Richard to HANE Mary Ann SYDNEY

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 October 18 08:10 BST (UK) »

George Francis Smith
Birth Place England

Kay

Wife is Mary Ann:

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article14370063

They did have children Charles and Ethel, also.

Yes he was 58, second column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article14454014

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 October 18 08:13 BST (UK) »

George Francis Smith
Birth Place England

From the other post..

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/240140482

Offline Mira

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 October 18 09:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you all. All the people who asked if the TROVE articles refer to my George Francis Smith are correct. Going by his death cert he was born about 1842 as he was 58 years old when he died: apologies for omitting that.

Thank you a million times to Jamjar for the marriage cert number. I have tried every combination of names I could think of to find this on the NSW BDM. I'm sure that's the right one as someone else out in genealogy land has George in their tree as George Richard. I'll order it tonight.

Anyone have any ideas about how and when he came to Sydney. I have Mary Ann Ham's immigration details. She came in January 1873 and they got married in July.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 October 18 11:18 BST (UK) »
Do Australian marriage certificates for 1873 give any information on parents as that may help locate GFS
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 October 18 11:29 BST (UK) »
 :)

I have just posted on the other thread, suggesting an official transcription of the NSW BDMs 1873 marriage may well have the info about the parents of both the bride and the groom, as well as the details about the origins of the bride and groom...  ;D

There can be elusive blanks on NSW marriages for that era, but most of the Sydney metropolitan BDM districts marriages for that era were fully recognised prior to WWI.  :)

ADD
:)  Welcome to RChat  :)  :)  :)

See Jamjar's posts for list of the births ...   :)  :)

If you order the official transcription of the birth cert for youngest, you should get all the info about all the older siblings, plus info about both the parents (where born, then age, where married etc).

If you order the official transcription of the marriage that Jamjar found as well, then hopefully it will have information about not just the bride and groom, but also their origins, parents etc... It should also have notations showing it has been reconciled by NSW BDM with the church register/s as it was a marriage within the Sydney BDM district.  It is likely it is the marriage you are looking for, afterall the bride's surname is indexed as HANE which may well be a mis-read for HAM (or vice versa).

Official transcriptions:  (scroll down) ... already transcribed, by people familiar with the handwriting of the person recording it in the register :)
https://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history-research/family-history-search.aspx

JM

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.